Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Hiring a helper through direct employment

mamaS is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by jessieywl
    hi all,

i didn't do it thr any agency. but my helper used to work in hk before. maybe that was why they didnt need me to do it thr an agency?
    You are absolutely right, jessie. Mine is a first timer so she has to have an agency. I didn't know that until the last minute, it's good i called the Phil. consulate to verify if i can do the leg work.

hermoine is offline Registered User

First Timer

Me and my friends have all managed to hire first timer helpers (never worked in HK before) by ourselves. Didn't have any problems. Just have to beat around the bush a bit. It can be done for sure.

mamaS is offline Registered User
    Hi Hermoine,

When was that? i have a friend too who insisted that it can be done, then i found out that it happened a year ago, rules of consulate changes. THE ONLY excemption is if the helper has work with your family before.

hermoine is offline Registered User

A month ago

Hi MamaS, my friend's helper arrived just shy of a month ago. Her helper has not worked in Hong Kong, nor any of her family members before. Please don't be offended, I mean well, but sometimes, with SE Asian consulates, you have to be prepared with the mentality that their rules can sometimes be different (or bent) from staff to staff, and from occassion to occassion. They can be a lot more flexible than say, US or UK consulates. And so, the way you enquire or present your case may result in the differing level of flexibility. Maybe there are other reasons, but that's just what I think. In any case, as long as your helper doesn't need to pay anything whatsoever in the Phillipines, I think HK$3200 is about right. :)

cyberyoda is offline Registered User
    Hi Hun Hun,

Would you let me know the contact of your agent please?? Thanks a bunch.

sophwillsmum is offline Registered User
    Hi,
    We are moving to Hongkong in June and I will be interested in getting a helper. I just assumed I would be able to pick one up who already worked in the country when I arrived to save any hassles. From what I am reading it seems like they are hard to come by. Am I correct? Also i just want to clarify if it is true that they have to be full time and live in your home?
    Thanks,
    Sally.

xmauix is offline Registered User
    hi nita,

Well, when the agency discouraged you about hiring a first time helper, it's right ;) I hired someone directly from Philippines and like you, I shouldered everything. After 3 months, she quit ( well, we were thinking of firing her anyway.)

The thing is, since she din't pay a cent, she took her job for granted. She was only in charge of taking care of my 7 month old baby but she took advantage of the situation. It was her first time to work in Hong Kong too and I'm pretty sure she's not ready to accept how things go here.

She'd be sleeping when the baby sleeps instead of washing baby's clothes and stuff... she'd even brought her cross-stitching kit for past time.. I was totally surprised! It seemed like she din't come to HK to work but to have a vacation!

I think, asking the helper to at least pay half or a quarter of the agency fee is just fair. It's just for your feeling of assurance :) I hope everything works out well.

I'm hiring another one again... this time, I din't shoulder all the costs, I've asked her to pay for the miscellaneous stuff... at least, she had to open her wallet too and value what she's up to here.

Cheers

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    The rules change all the time. I just hired mine 3 months ago. Under our contract (at the time we signed it), yes, she has to live at the place where she works.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast