Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hiring a helper through direct employment

nitalau is offline Banned

Unhappy Hiring a helper through direct employment

Hi,

I wonder if any of you have experience in hiring a helper through direct employment. I have a good recommendation for a helper who is residing in Phillipines right now. I have spoken to her on the phone and through email. Even though she has no previous working experience in Hong Kong, I would still like to hire her.

The only problem is, the cost for direct employment through an agency seems to be REALLY HIGH because the employer bears all the cost. The helper doesn't have to pay a cent. Any suggestions on how I can cut cost to hire this helper?

nita

rani is offline Administrator
    Hi Nita,

We hired direct from the Philippines. You do have to go through an agency as the consulate only allows Filipinos to hire direct. We paid approx $3,000 which included one way ticket, medical and some other paperwork from the Phillipines. Its very easy. Pick an agency, make sure they have a rep office in Manila. Ask your helper to go to the office to sign the contract. The agency will courier them to HK, for you to sign. You'll need to pay, and provide them with all the supporting documentation (proof of income), they will submit the contract to the consulate (takes 3-4days) and will then submit to immigration (takes 4-6 weeks).

Does your helper have a passport? She can easily apply for it herself. That takes 1-2 weeks to get. Has she worked as a helper before? She will need to give the agency a copy of any reference letters and a cv.

That's about it!

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

nitalau is offline Banned

Unhappy

When I spoke to the agency, she discouraged me from direct employment as the package is a lot more expensive and it does not cover medical/ labour insurance and they will not be responsible for sending the maid back if she doesn't work out.

Also, they said that since the maid doesn't have to pay a cent through direct employment, there is a higher chance for them to quit if they don't like working in HK. The total cost is $4600 for a package that doesn't include insurance and medical check-ups at all, only a one-way ticket and admin stuff to get her here.

Am I talking to the wrong agency here?

Nita

rani is offline Administrator
    the fee should include the medical and there is some other exit permit fees as well.

as you've not selected a helper from their database they will not take any responsiblity if things don't work. Which is fair. You are taking a risk.

Try calling a few other agencies. I just checked Overseas Employment and they are charging $2500 for direct hires but it doesn't include medical.

http://www.overseas.com.hk/web/html/...vices_self.htm

I used a company in LKF called J & N ( i think). Their office was in the same building as Al's Diner. They were a bit slow, and I had to call them every few days for an update. Our papers got delayed at the Consulate for 2 weeks cos it was Election time. Once the papers were submitted to immigration I called the case officer to get them expedited. I then collected the Visa and couriered it to the agency in Manila. I called my helper to report to the agency the following day and I called the agency to book her ticket. Within 3 days of receiving the visa she was in HK. In total it took 6 weeks.

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

hunhun is offline Registered User
    I am currently using an agent which charges HK$1500 for the whole direct hire process including one way ticket from the Philippines. Not in a position to recommend its service yet, as the visa is still being processed by the immigration dept.
    CAILLOU

CASPER

dulce is offline Registered User
    Hi Ms. Hunhun, I think your HK$1500 fee is just OK for your NEW HIRE. It's not a direct hire. For Ms. Nita's case it's a Direct hire because someone recommended the applicant for her to be employed. If I am not mistaken, an agency offered you this kind of service.

hunhun is offline Registered User
    Hi Dulce, your deduction is wrong. :alien:
    Last edited by hunhun; 05-10-2006 at 08:21 AM.
    CAILLOU

CASPER

mamaS is offline Registered User
    You can negotiate with the helper to split the cost or she shoulders everything. It turns out to be cheaper for her than paying the full agency fee which is around 110,000 pesos, i think.

I find that if she doesn't pay anything, she might just quit anytime as she got nothing to lose.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast