Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

HELP,HELP-TODDLER "HOLDING IT IN"

marymary is offline Registered User

THanks everyone for your advice. It's funny because we ran out of flax seed so she didn't have any for about a wk & then started to go, on her own too. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but we've stopped giving it to her. She does still have prunes. Plus we're trying to not make a big deal out of it and told her "when you have the feeling, u just go" and that seems to work. WE do however make a big deal when she actually has the bowel movement and she gets so excited and calls all of us to come see. Hey, whatever works, right?!

booplovers is offline Registered User

Angry Holding it in - i need help too

hi, i have a 5 year old son and have been strugglying with this problem for about 3 and a half years. I have been to the GP's, pediatritions, clinic's and many other parents and of course preschool teachers. I thought we had moved past it but it has all started up again. I am at my witts end. we have tried Actilax, chocolate laxatives, Coloxial, Suppository and of course prune juice and weetbix. He eats loads of fruit and we are not big on friend food. Its now been 6 days since he has opened his bowl. Ive tried to talk him into it, ive tried the screaming and yanting and raving, tried reading to him on the toilet for nearly 2 hours. He screams when he needs to go and runs to the toilet but when he gets there its gone 'back up' For years he held it in and i think its now a habbit. The last time i saw the pediatrition he said that the next step was a hose up there to flush him out and he said its very tramatic. Something i would like to stay clear of if i can. This can not be good for him and im sure is rather dangerous. Not sure how bad it is as no one has given me straight answers on it. I'm a single mother of 4 children and have never had this problem with any of the other 3 kids. I have written down the suggestions below and hopefully i can find those items in our chemist here in australia. If anyone knows of anything else it would be greatly appreciated. thanks - JOELY

miaka is offline Registered User

have you tried the drink 'yakult'? my nephew has always had bowel problems and drinks this. the extra 'good' bacteria seems to help. also lots of extra fluids.

booplovers is offline Registered User

Yakult

I will buy some of that this morning and hopefully that might help. Since waking this morning at 7am he has ran to the toilet about 30 times. AND still nothing....The choc laxative i gave him last night has kicked in but he still holds in it. He has great muscle control. Its hard to explain to a 5 year that its BAD to do it and he will get sick. thanks again for your responce. I will try it :)

kellyst is offline Registered User

wow, i can't believe so many people are having the same problem. we have the same problem with my 18m.o. temporarily ok now, we tried EVERYTHING as well, moved from formula to cow's milk, prune juice, lots of water, chinese soup.

BUT one thing i want to mention, my MIL got 開奶茶 translation to English reads ('Hoi Nai Chai') from Yu Yan Seng. it's a Chinese remedy that you need to boil up. it's all pre-packaged, but it says it helps with kids constipation. i'm a bit suspicious of giving her such things at first, but this seemed to be helping a bit, i think with the help of a lot of other things as well. Just another thing you might want to try. we are giving her this about 2 times a week now.

For those who don't read Chinese, you can just print this and show it to Yu Yan Seng, or lemme know i can find the English name on the package when i get home.

bbvv is offline Registered User

We give ours 'Hoi Nai Chai' too on a weekly basis - supposed to help with 'hot air' too. My baby biggest stretch of no poo is 4 to 5 days and now he is on solids, there's no problem. Heard that pears are supposed to be good too for constipation.

kellyst is offline Registered User

want to write to this thread again, as we've found a very good solution and i'd like to share. it's 'rice water', basically, when you cook rice, when the water comes to boil for a little while, we take that water our and let bub drink it like water. just a small cup every day, and it's working wonders! her poopoo has gotten a lot softer, she's not scared anymore, and gets to go willingly almost everyday.

it's actually better than the hoi nai chai as you cannot drink that that much. this 'rice water' i think it's the most basic thing, just like us eating rice every day, so it's ok to have it daily, and it's really working for us.

hubby's grandmother gave it to him when he was a baby, MIL started with my baby and it's really working, hope this helps!

virginiayue is offline Registered User

Try "Danilax Misture" Lactulose Solution. My little girl got the same problem and she is 13 months. She is taking it everyday and she is doing very well. My family doctor recommand it to me when I was pregnant and recommand it to my daughter as well. It is very good caused there is no side effect to it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast