Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice please - QE/Dr. Dawkins

chosun is offline Registered User

Smile Advice please - QE/Dr. Dawkins

Again thanks all for advising me the previous question. I find the forum is very resourceful and I wish I can contribute to the forum once I have my own experience!

Having read through the threads, I have some concerns that would welcome your advice.

My office hour is quite strict and I may not be able to wait so long for check ups at public hospitals. I also have no insurance cover and I have seen a private doctor who works with HK sanatorium for 3 times. Having paid around 800-1600 K per visit, I found the cost is quite expensive, but the service I got is below my expecatation. The doctor seems very busy, distant and only give me advice if I asked her.

1. I heard many good things abt Dr. Dawkins. Please can any of you give me approx cost of seeing him e.g. consultation fee+ultrasound.

2. I really want my husband to be with me in the labour ward (not only at the delivery suite). I heard that Queen Elizabeth allows husband to accormpany wife for the whole time. Is this true?

3. How many people are in general ward at QE? Are their service quality good?

Thanks so much for those who spending time answering. You make me feel like I was at home.

rani is offline Administrator
    Hi

Have a read through this thread on QE

Pregnant - public hospital and antenatal class
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

TanyaH is offline Registered User
    I loved Dr Dawkins. He was a very calming influence at my most neurotic time in life.

rani is offline Administrator
    This one too

Public Hospital
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Sumei is offline Registered User
    hi Chosun,

would highly recommend Dr Dawkins too - he's excellent and I'd use him again for #2! Only problem being that he only delivers at Matilda (private hospital) so even if you don't mind paying his fees you'll have to consider the cost of giving birth at Matilda. This range varies of course depending on room type and type of birth (I had an emergency c-section with epidural and stayed in a private suite so our bill was huge), the best way to do an accurate cost analysis is to call Dawkin's clinic for his fees and get the Matilda brochure which outlines their fees. Also there are some "hidden" costs like paeditrician (if you have an emergency c-section) and anaethesist (sp?) if you have an epidural etc...

best of luck!

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    not sure if this was the info you needed. Dr Dawkins charges

I gave birth to my baby in August 2005. the consult fees and ultrasound usually came to $800 per visit. other things were charged on top, ie bloodtests, any meds if needed etc.

hope this helps

JennyB is offline Registered User
    I'm also using Dr Dawkins for antenatal checkups and intend to deliver without him at Queen Mary - he is very familiar with patients doing this. He has a clinic in Jardine House, Central and I think is there four mornings a week; the rest of the time he is at the Matilda.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Another Dr Dawkins fan !

I am seeing him at the moment for #2 and he was my OB for #1. His costs are around HK$800/visit and you pay more for detailed ultrasounds, bloodtests, etc.

Not sure what his delivery costs are, have been meaning to ask myself. When I had #1 he had an all inclusive package, where you paid up front for all visits and delivery. He doesn't have those anymore, unfortunately.

I find him very thorough, but he doesn't waste time doing unnecessary procedures. He is never unsettled by anything and is not a worrier, which I really like. He takes the time to answer my questions, but doesn't bother me with useless information if I don't ask.

Re waiting for public appointments - I thought the labour laws in HK required employers to give time off for pre-natal appointments?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast