Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Canossa Hospital

Hannah's Mom is offline Registered User
    Baby number 2 is in planning stages and I have a couple of questions also about Canossa!
    Was your husband/partner allowed in the labour and delivery room? I've heard some hospitals don't allow spouses in in the labour room and I just couldn't imagine that! Also are they allowed to overnight in the hospital with you? And last .. do babies room in with mom or are they in a nursery?
    Thanks for any info!

mama cat is offline Registered User
    My experiences at Canossa were pretty good. The nurses were very attentive and supportive esp when i was in labour. They are also very helpful in getting the breastfeeding going. There were no hidden costs in the final bill, just what the package rate quoted. The rooms were quite big and modern (they were recently renovated). I had a 2 person room all to myself during my 5 day stay. I recently visited a friend at the Adventist and found that the similar class room is smaller. Husband/partners are allowed in the labour and delivery room as well as the operation theatre. Babies are only allowed to room in in the first class (single) rooms but they bring in the babies during feeding times for the other rooms.

Sunny - in terms of doctor's fees, I think the average is around 30-50k for c section. Bear in mind that when the doctor visits you at the hospital they charge the equivalent of your room rate, so if your room rate is say $1250, they charge that as their visiting fee. The doctor usually recommends the anaethetist. My OGBYN is in causeway bay. She is quite local and usually uses Canossa or the HK Sanatorium.

Rosewood is offline Registered User
    We used the package, and I was charged 4.5 days for a 3 bed ward. My overall hospital bill was around 54K, including doctors fee (which I think was around 22-25K, cant remember exact cost), anesthesialogist fee (around $7500 - note, the hospital also charges a a separate fee for epidural ), paedatrician fee $700 per day, had 4 visits). Both the Anesthesialogist and Paedatrician were recommended by my doctor. Food, toiletries, sanitary pads were included, I guess thats because I chose the package. The bathrooms/toilets were of an ok size in the maternity ward, and there were always cleaning ladies around.

Husbands/patners are allowed in the labour room - one downside is that they only get a hard chair to sit on in the labour room, unlike in Adventis where I think they provde a more comfy chair, the ones with the high padded backrest. So if you're in for a long overnight labour, like I was, its a bit uncomfortable for the hubby.

We did take a tour of the maternity wards at Adventis as well, which did look nicer and more welcoming than Canossa, but in the end we opted for Canossa because it was closer.

Louiseamanda is offline Registered User
    Hello

I went to the Canossa but just as an outpatient. It seemed modern enough
    and very clean. It is an old-fashioned type of hospital. I have worked in hospitals for years -the fabric of the building is not what ,atters (though space is nice!) but rather the management of your case and the equipment and most of all the consultants.
    Someone commented about the room sizes and that in certain rooms your baby is not left with you, after birth but brought in for feeding?
    This is archaic and I would not be happy with this, at all.
    Bonding occure in the early stages. THe baby should be put to your breast after you deliver and should not be removed. You should be able to pop the baby in by your side whenever you want and breastfeeding should be actively encouraged (though it is, of course, the mother's determination to see this works, but a bit of encouragement helps!)
    Good luck I hope you get the info you need
    LA

Louiseamanda is offline Registered User
    Ps I see that baby's are moved about in the Adventist, so I would go for the Canossa if they dont do that!!

Sophia_Chan is offline Registered User
    Has anyone used the prenatal check up package at Canossa? I'm just wondering whether they assigned you one ob/gyn throughout or you saw a different doc each time. Thank you.

curiousmummy is offline Registered User
    Hi Rosewood, thank you for all the information, this is very detailed. I am also thinking of choosing Canossa due to its proximity. I was wondering if you can provide more details as to the choices of doctors who will be able to deliver in Canossa. Did you get to choose and who did you choose?

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I'm not a big fan of Canossa....I've spent several nights in Canossa, Adventist, Matilda and Queen Mary and out of all those the Canossa was the worst. I think personally I'd rather be in the Queen Mary than the Canossa.

The Canossa is old....the rooms are dull and miserable. The bathrooms, and the rooms themselves desperately need renovation....

I've actually ended up in the Canossa twice (when other hospitals were full) and both times I found the nurses to be partic. unfriendly.

I would go anywhere but Canossa.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast