Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Travel w/1 month old BB

FirstMumSKW is offline Registered User

Travel w/1 month old BB

Dear All experience Mums,

My Baby is due on 2nd Feb-06. I planned to spend 1 month in HKG after birth and after that I would like to take my baby to see her Grandparents abroad.

As a first Mum, I have no idea what should I do. Especially documentations and any regulation involve in this trip (i.e: doctor certifications or passport for baby).

Please help me, as I want to make sure that I prepare all this before hands. Thanks a millions. All the best to all Mums.

TanyaH is offline Registered User
    Hi First Mum,

First up - good luck for 2 weeks time.

Well, the good news is that at 1-4 months they sleep most of the time, are small enough to fit in a Bassinet and you have food on tap so don't have to take hundreds of bottles, jars of food or toys. At that age the airlines are quite nice to you too.

You will need a passport for baby.

Boobs / bottles / dummy on take off and landing so they have something to make them swallow (as they can't equalize the pressure in their ears) They will scream it out otherwise!

You only need a doctor's cert if there is something the airline should be aware of, in terms of illness.

Enjoy baby - they are such fun, and as ever week goes by they just get better and better.

Thanks a lot Tanya.
    Can't wait till my Baby's due! Wish you all the best too.

rads is offline Banned
    Hello,

I travelled with my 3 week old son from India to HK for his first trip.

It was the simplist trip by far all he did was drink milk( I timed all his feeds for the take off & 20 min before landing I started feedind him again) & sleep & needed one daiper change. If you use a car seat carry it along as your baby can sleep in it thru the trip. Just chk with the airline if they accept forward facing of aft facing car seats...as different airlines have differnt rules. My son never ever slept in the baby bassinet.I carried his own blankie and a sheet to put in the bassinet.

I carried all possible medication...thankfully I did not need any.

All the best for the New Arrival.

Arwen is offline Registered User
    hi!

I took my baby back to Singapore for visit when she was 1 month old!
    she was such an angel on the way there.... slept thru the trip... only cracking up a little when we tried to put on the safety belt.

my advise is not to breastfeed directly in the airplane.... the space is so tight that I ended up squirting milk in all places except into her mouth!!
    So it is best to express the milk just before take off.

As for travel doxs, we went to the embassy to get her a travel dox. Remember to make a photocopy of her birthcert as the custom in HK will require it.

Oh by the way, she was no angel on her way back to HK in her 2nd month... screaming her lungs out in the airplane....

Arwen

Thanks..

Thanks for all the valuable advice.
    Wish you all the best!