Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Car Seats

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Fo Tan

Car Seats

Hello all!

Just to echo what others have said, these forums are great for those of us contemplating the move and all the advice has been very helpful. I wonder what they did in the "old days" of the 1980s??

My wife and I are coming to HK sometime this summer with a new baby (due in late May). My work assignment in HK should last for about 5 years, more if we like it.

We will not have a car and we were wondering if there would be any need for a car seat in HK? We have heard that they are good to have on planes?

jools is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay
    I've never used a car seat on the plane, but I know others have and swear by them.

In terms of actually using them in Hong Kong, if you don't have a car, is not that likely. The taxis don't like waiting around while you fit them (time is money) and often they won't fit anyway. We bought a car seat to take our baby daughter home from the hospital (she was born in Hong Kong) and that's the only time it got used; so we have a brand new car seat sitting on top of the wardrobe waiting for number 3 to come home from the hospital.

Good luck with the move.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    New Territories
    We have a car and used car seats when the kids were babies. But we never took it out and used it when we took taxis, minibuses, & big buses.

If you don't have a car, don't bother bringing a car seat IMHO.

mandz is offline Registered User
    Parkview, Hong Kong Island
    This is my second week in Hong Kong and I'm still struggling with the fact that Taxi's won't wait around while you struggle with a carseat. Having a front pack is essential and you can easily get the seatbelt around you with out it crossing the baby.

Something I wish I had was a super light stroller. Something I would buy if I was coming from the US is a 'Sit & Stroll' Its a carseat that converts directly into a stroller. Type sit & stroll into the web and you'll see the site. Can't see why they aren't sold else where they look great