Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

On the way to H.K.

Lisak is offline Registered User

On the way to H.K.

Hi,

We are about to move to H.K. from Stockholm, Sweden. We are now looking for a suitable appartment. Any advice where to live? My husband will work at North Point. Preferable close to office, but good for small children as we have a 7 month old son. Already looking forward to meet you mums down there!

/ Lisa

jools is offline Registered User
    Hi LisaK,
    Welcome to Hong Kong. My husband also works in North Point, however, we decided that there wasn't anywhere suitable for our family nearby. We live in Discovery Bay which takes my husband an hour to get to work. Discovery Bay is great for kids. The commute is quite long, however, it's shorter than he was used to in the UK and the big diffference from home is that everything runs on time. The journey is an hour everyday, not 2 hours one day, an hour and half the next, like at home in the UK. The other thing about Discovery Bay is that because it's on Lantau not Hong Kong, he feels that he can leave the stress of the office behind when he gets on the ferry.

Good luck with the move and I hope you find somewhere you want to live. I know other people on this site will give you ideas of other places.

Jools

kristen06 is offline Registered User

New to HK in February

Hello ladies,
    My family will be arriving in HK in Feb. and we have a 16 month old daughter. I've heard that Discovery Bay is geat for kids. We are staying in Tung Chung as my husband will be working near the airport and I am afraid we will be so far from everthing and won't be able to find playgroups. Are there any playgroups out ther for 1-2 year olds? I've seen quiite a few for 6-9 month olds. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks. We are excited to arrive.

TanyaH is offline Registered User
    Hi all,

Welcome to HK. Disco Bay (Discovery Bay / DB) is great if you work near the airport. There are some good play groups there too.

DB It is not great if you are working in North Point. You should look for apartments in Happy Valley area - which has a good expat community and plenty of play facilityes for young babies / toddlers. Most Westerners live in Pok Fu Lam, Stanley and Mid Levels areas - which is where most of the Expat orientated facilites are.

Best of luck

kristen06 is offline Registered User

Playgroups in DB

Thanks for the info on the DB area. I am hoping to find some playgroups to join once we arrive. If anyone knows of any in the DB area, please let me know, we would like that area since it's not as far as others. We are in Tung Chung and I haven't heard from anyone from there yet.

Thanks again for all of the input.
    Kristen

Hi Kristen06,

When you get to DB, there is a free magazine called Inside DB. You can pick it up from the Redisents Club and some of the restaurants (the ones that are left open during the renovations); the playgroups are often listed in there.

Jools

donosti is offline Registered User
    HI!
    we are moving to Hong Kong this year. I am from Northern Spain but I have been living in the US for the last 6 years. I have a 2 and a half year old boy and I would like some suggestions about areas to live and good K3s. My husband will be working for Cathay so anything close to the airport will be great.
    Thanks! Gracias

Hi donosti,

Discovery Bay is 20 minutes from the airport on the bus and the bus drops off at the Cathay Pacific building on the way to the airport. There are alot of pilots who live here for that very reason.

Good luck with the move!

Jools

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top