Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help - Thinking of Trying

jaetee is offline Registered User

Help - Thinking of Trying

Hi,

I have been lurking on this site for a couple of months and am grateful for all the information shared by the members. :)

We are thinking of trying to get pregnant, and I feel apprehensive since I am in my early 30s, and thus feeling like I am starting very late (age-wise). :( I have had my basic pre-prenatal tests a couple of months ago, and things seemed to be okay. No major testing was done, just general blood tests for me - the ob/gyn seemed to indicate that was enough.

I feel like I need some help in terms of ovulation testing kits, and such, and would greatly appreciate advice from the experts, i.e. forum members. :)

1) What ovulation testing kits have people had success with?
    2) Where in HK can we purchase the recommended ovulation test kits and basal thermometers?
    3) Any suggestions for optimizing pregnancy chances. :)
    4) Should hubby be tested for anything now, or not needed unless we are trying with no success?

Thank you all so much - and I hope it is okay to post these questions. :)

rads is offline Banned

Hello Jaetee,

I had my first baby when I was 33 and my second one is due due any day at 35... I don't think your starting LATE....

I would suggest you start taking folic acid if your planning a baby soon.....give yourself time & try not to think about it too much ( this is most difficult) as once we planned to have a baby I was most upset every month when I got my periods.

I did not use any kits just tried on my most productive days.....and got preggie in less than 6 months....

All the best.....It will happen sooner than you think.

jools is offline Registered User

Hi Jaetee,
    I agree, I don't think you're starting too late. I had my first when I was 33, my second at 35 and my third is when I'm 37.

My best advice would be to relax. I know of lots of friends who got themselves hyped up and were testing themselves constantly, for example one of my friends was just about to start IVF, relaxed after making this decision and low and behold the next month she was pregnant naturally.

My husband and I entered the whole trying thing with the attitude that if it happens, it happens, if it doesn't then that's what is meant to be. Now I'm not saying that will work for everyone but it did for us and now we're on our third pregnancy.

Good luck and relax, let nature have a go first before intervening with testing.

Jools

loupou is offline Baby Guru

I would recommend:
    * Start to take folic acid
    * Eat well
    * Dispense w/ birth control
    * Make love a lot Go especially wild on days when your mucus is like egg white.

Good luck!

Thanks - am hoping to get pregnant in a couple of months, so will start the pre-prep with the Ovulation tests. I have been taking pre-natal vitamins for a few months which have 800mcg (i think) of folic acid - hope that is enough. :)

chichi is offline Registered User

Hi, Jaetee, my ob told me earlier that we need at least 4 milligram (i.e. 4000 mcg) of folic acid everyday. This should be taken while you are planning for pregnancy and to continue till about 3-4 months pregnant.

sunnysideup is offline Registered User

The consensus is to take 400mcg of folic acid when you start trying, then increase to 1mg (1000mcg) when you are pregnant. I have heard that 4mg is for people who have family history of NTD (Neural Tube Defects). Also heard studies that high dosage of folic acid could cause cancer. But heard also that FC is water soluble so will just pass through your system as normal. Anyway, I am taking taking Materna, a pre-natal multi-vitamine, which contains 1mg FC and top up with additional FC pills at times.

Would suggest you to test your BBT daily to find your pattern. You should ovulate when your temp dip before rising into high temp phase. You can get a digital thermometers at Watsons or Mannings. They comes in either Celsius or Fahrenheit so choose the one you prefer.

Have sex every other day for 7-10 days when your OPK indicate that you will be ovulating soon.

Good luck!

Sunny

Thanks. :) My cycle has been slightly irregular (ranges from 28 to 30 days) so am taking the average (29) and will start testing using the Ovulation kits. :) :)

My ob/gyn had recommended 500mcg as a pre-prenatal level. I am currently taking Nature Made Pre-Natal Vitamins (it is a US brand available overthecounter, and is not prescription). I am also taking echinacea and vitamin C to help ward off cold/flu. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast