Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Feeding and changing facilites?

mumofwun is offline Registered User

Feeding and changing facilites?

I am travelling back to HK for the first time since the birth of my son. We live in the UK and are really spoilt for baby facilities here. I was wondering how one gets about with breastfeeding and nappy changing when out and about in HK? Not too sure I would dare to put his changing mat on the floor of most toilets in HK. I do not remember seeing any facilities when I last visited, but then of course i wasn't looking. Maybe I should have lots of tea and cakes in hotels? Thanks!!

rani is offline Administrator
    Welcome to Geobaby!

here's a list of places to feed/change baby

Where To Breastfeed And Change A Baby In Hong Kong
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Penny is offline Registered User
    Hi Mumofwun,
    I moved to HK three weeks ago with my 8 week old baby and was suprised at the lack of breastfeeding facilities/rooms here. I starting feeding in the restaurant of the Marco Polo hotel, on my second day here, and was told that it was completely inappropriate. Since then I have searched many shopping centres to find only a few with feeding facilities but nearly all of them have change tables in the toilets (some even in the male toilets). When I ask at the 'service centre' of shopping centres they look at me like I'm an alien.
    I now, usually, buy a coffee in Starbucks or Pacific coffee and relax in one of their comfy armchairs and feed away. No-one seems to look twice.
    In regards to your comment about not wanting to put your change mat on the floor - well my guess is that the public toilet floors in HK might even be clean enough to eat off. I have never seen so many cleaners in my life. Every single public toilet I go into has a cleaner working hard, non-stop. They really are spotless.

mumofwun is offline Registered User
    Thank you so much for your help. wow sounds like the loos in hk have been transformed since i left in 1992! cant wait to visit now. i quite like the idea of lounging around hotel coffe shops, as if i needed an excuse!