Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Domestic Help Questions

Sally123 is offline Registered User

Domestic Help Questions

We are looking to hire a domestic helper (never have had hepl before) through recommendation of a friend, ie. not through an employment agency....
    1.Her contract finishes end of March...what paperwork needs to completed? She already lives here in Hong Kong.
    2. Do you have to be on a yearly contract or can it be for a shorter time?
    3. I know the basic minimum wage, we will come to an agreement whether we pay more etc.....but, what are any other costs involved? The annual ticket home, is that only if they are on a 12 month contract? etcc
    Any info please...

rani is offline Administrator

Sally,

Domestic Helper contracts are for 2 years, and the ticket home is upon completion of their 2 year contract. However, lots of families do send their helper home during Xmas and summer holidays when they are away as well.

Have a read through the Gov'ts Practical Guide for hiring DHs

http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/wcp/FDHguide.pdf

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

so would that mean, if I was only looking for a helper for 8 months.....I would sign the 2 yars contract then give 1 months notice of termination of contract? Or, make that known at the start?

rani is offline Administrator

Yes, you have to sign a 2 year contract and then give her 1-mth notice. Does your helper know you only need her for 8mths? I'm asking cos terminated helpers have a harder time finding work.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

No, I am to meet her this weekend and discuss all this. I am very new to all this. Maybe if I was to terminate contract but have a letter as to why?i.e. leaving the country?

rads is offline Banned

Helo Sally,

If your t termination letter staes that your leaving the country ur helper will not have a easier time to get a new jog. esp if you support her with her new contract. I had terminated my helper in 9 months as we were planning to migrate & the immigration called me to check with me...my helper got her new visa within 2 weeks & she did not have to leave HK to process her papers with her new employer.

I think financial, death, leaving HK are some of reasons I've heard of where the helper does not need to go to her home country to process her new visa...I could be wrong.

Hope this helps