Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Flu Vaccination in 2nd or 3rd Trimester

Autumn Leaves is offline Registered User

Flu Vaccination in 2nd or 3rd Trimester

I'm just wondering if anyone received a flu vaccination in their second or third trimester as recommended by the health authorities? For those who did, were there any side effects? Did you have to specifically call your doctor to request this beforehand or did you just turn up? Do you have to buy your own vaccine or is it available at your local doctor's?

I'm 13 weeks along and having my antenatal check-ups at Tsan Yuk Hospital and the Maternal Child Health Clinic next door. I recently received their information flyer on flu vaccinations and it just got me thinking. They don't offer the flu vacciniation at MCHC and suggested I go to my own doctor to have it.

Thank you in advance. Cheers. Autumn.

jane01 is offline Registered User

Hi Autumn leaves

I'm in my 3rd trimester and decided not to have the vax. Reasons were:

* I just hate taking anything whilst pregnant. I know the health authorities recommend it, but *I* just don't feel comfortable.

* I read that it takes 1-2 months after receiving the vax to become immune. By then, flu season will be over. When I looked into it in Nov/early Dec, no one had any supplies of the vax.

* If there is a flu outbreak, I plan to just stay home !

Those are just my personal reasons. I'm not medically qualified in any way.

Hi Jane

Thanks for your feedback. I asked a lot of my girlfriends about the flu vaccination during their pregnancies and to my surprise, none of them did. In fact, most of them were surprised it was even recommended during pregnancy. So now I'm not sure. I've read many conflicting accounts and experiences.

I'm very much like you. Aside from my pregnancy supplements I'm a bit weary of taking anything else (I won't even touch a drop of coffee!). Anyway, I'll ask at my next check-up and try to keep an open mind. My only concern is that it'll be winter in Australia when I go home to deliver, but let's see how it goes.

Cheers!
    Autumn

Hi Autumn Leaves

I'm an aussie too. I looked into possibly getting the flu vax for my hubby and 2 y.o.in Australia whilst I was there before Christmas, as there were no supplies of the vax in HK. The strains of flu that Aust was vaccinating against were slightly different (sorry can't remember the scientific detail, perhaps try googling). Therefore, we decided not to go ahead, as we wouldn't be getting the exactly right vax.

Hope that helps

Hi Jane (my fellow Aussie!)

I'll do some googling for the flu vaccination types. Thanks. That's a good point re the different strains. Another thing you raised too was whether it's readily available in HK to begin with.

Cheers!
    Sharon

Hi fellow Aussie

Not sure if this will help you, but there are supplies available at Island Health in Discovery Bay at the moment. I only know because my daughter had a cold last week and I took her to the Dr and saw the sign in the window. I didn't bother getting her or hubby or helper vaccinated now, as by the time they are immune, winter will be over in HK. If there are supplies in DB, there will be supplies elsewhere, I'm sure.

Good luck in your search !

Thanks Jane! That's really helpful. Everything just seems like a mystery. The medical community give you these information sheets on flu vaccinations but not much else in terms of practical help. I'll definitely follow-up on my next check-up just for peace of mind, and then make a decision.

Cheers!
    Autumn