Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tsan Yuk's prenatal checkup - Downs screening

sunnysideup is offline Registered User

Tsan Yuk's prenatal checkup - Downs screening

Hello ladies (and maybe some gents)!

I am thinking about getting a 2nd opinion of my pregnancy by using the public healthcare system.

I know there is a screening (with ultrasound and blood test) for Down Syndrome babies at 11-13 weeks. Does Tsan Yuk clinic offer this? Or do they wait till much later to test for Downs? If so, when will they do the test and what would be involved?

Thanks for your advice!!

Sunny

Autumn Leaves is offline Registered User
    Hi Sunny

I can help you with this one as I'm currently having my Downs Screeing tests at Tsan Yuk Hospital. They're offered at the Lady Helen Woo Women's Diagnostic and Treatment Centre in Tsan Yuk Hospital itself.

They offer three types of tests: (i) First Trimester Screeing Test; (ii) Integrated Test and (iii) Second Trimester Maternal Blood Test.

I'm having (ii) Integrated Test which involves an ultrascan test to check the nuchal fold and blood test at 11-13 weeks, followed by another blood test at 16 weeks. The cost is HKD1680. They also provide 3D/4D scans and packages (Integrated Test + 3D/4D scan for HKD2450).

I'm very pleased with the quality of care at Tsan Yuk and the centre itself. The number for the Lady Helen Woo centre is 2589 2405.

Hope this helps.
    Autumn.

Thanks very much, Autumn Leaves! It's very helpful. I am however very surprised that it costs so much. Is it because this is not subsidised by HK government? Does this mean it will cost a lot more if I have the screening done at a private GynOb's clinic?

Sunny

JennyB is offline Registered User
    It sounds to me as though the previous poster is using private services at Tsan Yuk. At least I hope they haven't changed so much since I went there! I recall paying only $60 or $80 for each scan. In the first trimester they offer the nuchal translucency test (ideally around 12wks) and based on the results of that they may or may not recommend further tests at later stages. You just need a letter from your doctor confirming your pregnancy to register in the public health system at Tsan Yuk.

Thanks JennyB for your input. I thought it would be next to nothing if I have this screening test done in Tran Yuk too.

Yes, Autumn, is Lady Helen Woo centre within Tran Yuk a private facility? Didn't your doctor at Tran Yuk offer you this screening at a much cheaper rate? Appreciate your advice.

Would love to hear from other ladies' stories at Tran Yuk, especially if they can clarify on this anomaly. Thanks!

Sunny :)

Autumn Leaves is offline Registered User
    Quoted from Prenatal Screening for Down Syndrome information sheet:

'At present, Tsan Yuk Hospital only offers prenatal screening for women above age 35. Women who are below 35 need to pay for the service from private doctors or hospitals or from the Lady Helen Woo Women's Diagnostic and Treatment Centre at Tsan Yuk Hospital.'

I believe this is not just the case for Tsan Yuk. Earlier I had registered with Pamela Youde and they said the same thing. It's a government policy.

The Lady Helen Woo Centre is located within Tsan Yuk Hospital seems to be a bit of both public and private, depending on your age and eligibility. They seem to functioni as a private centre though because the Doctors you see have their own private practices and do rounds at the centre only on certain days. The doctors at Tsan Yuk do not offer Downs Screening which is why I was referred to the Lady Helen Woo Centre. I'm not sure how much it costs elsewhere though. Maybe someone else reading this will know?

I'm a patient at Tsan Yuk but because I'm under 35 I'm not eligible for free screening, hence I would be considered a private patient at the Lady Helen Woo Centre although I'm a public patient at Tsan Yuk.

Hope this helps. Autumn.

Thanks very much, Autumn. That was very helpful as it totally solved my confusion. In that case I think I will probably have the test done at my private gynae's clinic as I am under 35 also.

Would appreciate info from anyone on private gynae's charges for Down's screening (using ultrasound and blood test) at week 11-13. Just in case it will be a lot more expensive than going to the private clinic of Tran Yuk. Thank you!

Sunny

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Hello again Sunny,
    Very sad to hear that TY have changed their policy!
    I'm now in my second pregnancy and have been seeing a private doctor this time, just because my insurance covers it now. I have been going to Dr Dawkins in Jardine House and I have a note that the 12wk tests (which includes blood test as well as nuchal scan for Downs screening, but also includes loads of other blood tests that you might get free at TY) cost $1,850.
    I got the impression from my conversation with him about costs that most other gynaes offer a similar package and it's almost like a fixed rate, so that nobody can undercut or overcharge.
    It's hard to compare the cost with TY, because they are testing for different things. Private gynaes don't normally do any testing at 16wks unless 12wk screening indicates a high (<1 in 200) Downs risk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast