Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

C-section vs. vaginal birth

Tong Tong is offline Registered User
    C-section or not.. are purely personal preferenc.. can't say which is right or wrong.
    but I strongly disagree some woman insist on VB just becuase they want to FEEL like a REAL WOMAN.... to me... it sounds like ...once you own a sport car... must go 100m/hr.
    You own the machine ... doesn't mean to have to USE it to be meaningful!!!!
    I had a CS and my 2nd child was VB... kinda regret it... it was MUCH easier to have CS.....
    YEaH... EASIER!!!! I was up and running on the 2nd day.. breastfeed . no problem.... it doesn't really hurt that much!
    Life is full of trouble... babies are full of trouble... let's make delievery EASIER!!!!

zaitsa is offline Registered User

Smile

Hi,

I had a c-section myself 6 months ago, it was for medical reasons. I personnaly think that unless you need it for medical reasons it is better to have normal delivery. It takes time to recover from it of course vaginal birth as well but not in the same way.
    It is still a surgery even if doctors improve a lot their technic. If you prefer c-section to avoid the pain, think you will have pain anyway, not during delivery but few days after. Not too strong of course but still.
    They normally make you walk on the first day but it takes approximately 3 months to walk and stand without any problem. you need help at home because it is forbidden to carry anything and practice sport for about 4 or 5 months.
    For feeling or not the baby, you feel it when they take the baby out of tommy but don't feel the pain. You still see the baby right away like for vaginal delivery.
    Afterwards, it is up to you. Good luck anyway for both ways. Enjoy time with your babies that is the most important thing.

mandz is offline Registered User
    Marissa. good on you for doing your research. Although from reading through this there is no easy answer.

I had a VB and was extremely fortunate to have given birth 3.5 hrs after the labour pains had started. I had really stong views on how my birth should go before hand but after having such a short labour I had no choice. No drugs, or anything!!!!

I think what you're doing is right do your research, make the best decision for you. But don't set your heart on it, as things go hay wire really quickly.

Next time around I plan to take it as it comes, although if what they says is true I could be delievering in the supermarket.

Good luck with your choice
    Amanda

zaitsa is offline Registered User

to MayC

Yes of course I could walk before 3 months after my c-section but I could not walk for hours doing shopping for example or standing in a queue for ages.Especially because I had few problems after the c-section due to a blood factor deficiency (don't worry only 1 person out of 1 million has this probem)
    Otherwise, of course the main thing is to be obsessed by the scare. I was really scared too.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Dear Tong Tong,
    Running, 1 days after a C-section? First of all, I simply don;t believe you. Secondly, you could do yourself major damage acting in such an irresponsible way after major surgery - what if you can gotten faint, or started bleeding? Then how would you care for your baby? I cannot believe that any doctor would advise this, or even allow it.
    To the original poster - I think if you surveyed 1000 CS women, 999 would ell you that it is not like Tong Tong's experience as she tells it above.
    I have friends who have had VB and CS, and they ALL say that the recovery from CS is longer, more painful and more difficult.
    To the woman who said that VB after CS leaves a 1% change of uterine rupture - well, this is one of the highest risks of CS surgery anyway. This is why after a CS they ask you to measure your urine output - to make sure that there is no leakage into the stomach.
    Actually, I have to say, I am reqally angry about Tong Tong's post. I cannot believe that it is true, and at the very least, it's a ridiculous thing to say to a woman who is tryng to understand the normal course of events after CS and VB.
    There ARE ways to make labout easier - epidurals, massage, gas - but to suggest that cutting through layers of skin, muscle and tissue is EASY in any way, is simply ridiculous.

elephantine is offline Registered User
    Happy V, I'm quite sure the poster who said she was "up and running" did not mean that she was literally jogging or sprinting. It is just a phrase that people use to mean up and about. Poor Tong Tong must be feeling unduly attacked for effectively saying she was able to stand up and walk about without a problem.
    I do, however, second your views on preferring a VB over a CS, having had an emergency CS myself and found it painful to walk around for the first few weeks. I would hope that I can have a VB for my next child. Though a cousin of mine just a CS for her 2nd child, after having a VB for her first and much preferred her CS delivery, mainly because she tore quite a bit during the VB - so I think we should be understanding of the fact that people do have varied experiences and opinions on this issue.
    Marisa, you're very wise to get as much info as you can on the differences between a CS and VB and if you want a VB, what choices to make to reduce your chances of a CS (there's a lot of scientific research out there on delaying the epidural, etc. which I unfortunately didn't research for my delivery). Maybe you could ask your doctor about this. Having said that though, the end result will be partly determined by the circumstances of your labour. I remember being quite disappointed at needing to have an emergency CS at first, especially because of the pain caused by my incision, but having a healthy and beautiful bub in my arms helped me get over that pretty quickly!

Sumei is offline Registered User
    hi,

I think Tong Tong meant "up and running" as a form of expression (ie. up and about) as opposed to literally running a marathon - if she did, she'd certainly be an exception rather than the norm! I think it's only fair that everyone tells their own experiences with their birth, it may sound pretty extreme but despite what books say, not everyone has a textbook reaction.

I had an emergency c-section (was hoping for natural birth with painkillers of course as I had heard sooo many horror CS stories) but was surprised at how it really wasn't as bad as I thought - I had my CS at 2pm and was up and walking slowly the next morning, certainly there was soreness but no severe pain. I breastfeed about 4 hours after delivery and continued to do so right up to when my son turned 12 months 2 weeks ago. The slight soreness was there for a few weeks (I was on 4 types of painkillers during the 5 days in hospital and subsequently given 2 types of painkillers to take for 2 weeks after that) but nothing so terrible I couldn't get on with taking care of my newborn.

sunnysideup is offline Registered User
    Yes, Tong Tong wasn't lieing, it was just a phrase (up and running) meaning "up and about" as elephantine explained. So don't take offence from it. Let's chill ladies! We all need to have a happy pregnancy and motherhood

Like Marisa, I am here to gather info on both methods of birth. It's my first pregnancy, how exciting!

I believe it should entirely be your personal preference how you choose to deliver your baby. I have heard some comments (when I googled on the subject) about women who choose CS and/or who don't breastfeed are considered bad mothers coz they don't want to go through the pain and/or hassle. I think that's very unfair. If the technology is there to make your life easier, then choose that as you want to. If you really want to do it like women in year 1900, then do it without epidural or any painkiller. If you cannot go through birth like that, then don't put down people who has an even lower pain threashold. People choose CS for a mix of reasons, pain maybe one of them but not the sole reason.

Modern life is full of choice so we are very lucky to be living in this time. IT IS NOT A COMPETITON. It's not I can suffer the pain so I am a better mother and my kids should love me more coz I went through it in a harder way than the mother acrossed the street. And is it really harder? CS women has a long road to recovery which some may consider tougher.

I am keeping my options open. My GynOb said the risk is pretty equal for both methods as there can be complications in both cases. Luckily I still have months to go so I will carry on my research.

To mothers in both clubs (CS and VB), well done you for bringing in all these angelic faces to this world making life more hopeful to all and thanks for all your stories and advices. Keep them coming please!!

Sunny

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast