Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Flying/snokelling while pregnant.

sunnysideup is offline Registered User

Flying/snokelling while pregnant.

Hello ladies (and gents)! A few questions on flying during pregnancy that would appreciate your comments and advice.

1. Is it safe to fly during the first trimester?

2. At which month should you start to experience real discomfort while flying long haul. Is it unbearable in the 3rd trimester? I am considering taking a holiday (over 10 hours flight) when I am 7 month (the very beginning of the 7th month) preggy. What would make my journey more bearable? Extra pillows to support my back? Any other concerns apart from aching back?

3. Also considering to snorkel in my 5th month (early part). Will I be allowed to take part by the tour organiser/company - in Australia?

Thanks!!

Sunny

Erin is offline Registered User

Hi Sunny,

Here are my thoughts:

1. There is no problem flying in your first trimester.

2. As far as flying in your third trimester, you may want to check with the airline and your doctor. Your doctor may have conserns about you flying at that stage. Airlines have restrictions and requirements during your last trimester (they may want a doctors note givint you permission or they may not allow flight after so many weeks. No one wants you to gointo labour during a flight).

As far as comfort, I would not have been very comfortable on a long flight at 7 months, (I could hardly sit through a movie), but I guess it depends on how keen you are to take a trip. I'd recomend business class if you can afford it, that way you'll have a little more space. Try to elevate your feet (can't really do it in economy) or at least move around a lot to minimize the swelling in your feet. My feet swell like crazy on long flights when I'm not pregnant.

3. I can see there being a problem SCUBA diving, but I can't imagine any problem snorkling. You'd have to talk to the tour group directly to make sure they don't have a problem. Who knows maybe they have liability conserns?

Thanks Erin, I will keep that in mind. Hopefully we can upgrade with miles. Failing that I should just buy the Business class ticket or buy 3 economy seats (1 for hubby, 2 for me) haha. I wonder how the airline would charge me for the 2nd seat? Would be interesting to find out.

JennyB is offline Registered User

I flew long-haul at 6th months, and would definitely try my damnedest to get an upgrade if I do it again! Whether it's umbearable or not will depend on your own pregnancy conditions which nobody can foretell. Some people have blood pressure problems or other serious pregnancy complications, and they will be grounded much earlier than most. Pillows might be good but they will result in less space between your belly and the seat in front!

I got the bulkhead seat as requested, which gives more legroom and means you don't have people reclining into your already limited space. BUT I would only recommend this for people with relatively slim bottoms, because these seats are narrower than others, since they have the tray table stowed under the arm rest. The arm rest is FIXED and cannot be raised, so no point in having two of those seats! I was pre-pregnancy UK size 14 and by 6 months my bum was wedged so tightly into that bulkhead seat that I could hardly move, not even just to lean from side to side!

The other issue is that my legs and arms kept going to sleep, as circulation is poorer during pregnancy, so you need to wear the scary flight socks and move around as much as you can.

Each airline has a different policy about when you can fly until - I think Cathay and British Airways will let you go up to 36wks but with some other airlines (especially smaller ones) it can be a lot earlier. So you'll need to check with them individually.

Re the doctor's note thing, you'll also have to get a letter from a doctor in your holiday country, to show the airline when you check in for the return journey.

Really business class is the way to go - I got an upgrade when travelling short-haul for work and it was fantastic: you can put your legs up, people keep bringing you things and asking if you need anything... book well ahead if you're trying to use miles though.

a mom is offline Registered User

in case biz class doesn't work out, i HIGHLY recommend doing the next best thing which is flying singapore airlines econ. they are just SO helpful, the attendants are super young, energetic, and well trained to be helpful despite your being in cattle class, go figure!

Hi JennyB, thanks for the info and advice. Btw, the letter from doctor, does it have to be from a obgyn or can it be from a GP?

Oh yes, SQ is a quality airline and services seem better than CX consistently. But of course it depends on the convenience of their schedule and where they fly to. Often you need to fly via Sg so adding travel time. Hubby and I will try to get an upgrade first with miles. Failing that we will just have to pay for the necessary comfort if we opt to travel late in pregnancy. Thanks for the advice!