Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Down's screening at week 11-13.

sunnysideup is offline Registered User

Down's screening at week 11-13.

Dear all,

I know there is a Down's screening at around 11-13 week which involve ultrasound and bloodtest. But I was told that I should have the ultrasound done first at around 12 weeks, then bloodtest later at around 15 weeks. Apparently the test result will not add value if I do the bloodtest any earlier.

Did you have them done on the same day? Appreciate your stories!

Sunny

juliet is offline Registered User
    Hi Sunny, there are two types prenatal Down's screening - combined test and integrated test. The combined test involves a ultrasound and blood test at 11-13 weeks while the integrated test involves a ultrasound at around 12 week and a blood test at the 16 weeks. Both tests will have about 90% accuracy. The good thing of the combined test is that you can have the result within 1-2 days and CVS can be done to confirm whether the baby is having Down's syndrome. In case the baby is really having the problem, termination of pregnancy can be done by D&C. For the integrated test, you cannot have the result until 16 weeks when you will not be able to have D&C even if the baby is having Down's syndrome. Therefore, most doctors will recommend the combined test rather than the integrated test.

Juliet, thank you very much for an informative reply. It's exactly what I need. A few more clarification please:

Do you know if both blood tests (between the one that's done in week 12 and the one in week 16) are idential? If so, why do they feel the need to do it again? Is the 2nd one more accurate?

If D&C is not allowed at week 16, there must be other method of abortion right? Is D&C better for your body than other methods? I thought you can legally abort before reaching 22 weeks?

Sorry, what is CVS?

Sunny

juliet is offline Registered User
    Hi, Juliet, I am sorry to confuse you. as far as I know, the tests are testing different hormones. For the combined test, there is only one blood test and no need for the 2nd blood test. It is only if the test result shows high risk, you need a confirmation test by CVS (getting the placental tissue) or amniocentesis. For the integrated test, the usg and blood test are done at separate occasions.
    Abortion if to be done at 16 weeks will be similar to a delivery. The doctor will give you drugs to stimulate the uterus to pass the "baby". D&C may also be needed afterwards if the dlivery is not complete, ie something left inside. I believe that this will be more traumatic to your body and mind.
    Don't worry too much and don't make a happy and cheerful moment to be anxious and miserable. Good luck.

Lylah is offline Registered User
    i had down syndrome screening at 15 weeks

Autumn Leaves is offline Registered User
    Hi Sunny

We meet again!

At Tsan Yuk (Lady Helen Woo Centre) you have the following options (based on their brochure):

(1) First Trimester Screening Test
    - Ultrasound scan + blood test at 11 - 13 weeks
    - Detection rate: 85%
    - False positive rate: 5%

(2) Integrated Test
    - Ultrasound scan + blood test at 11 - 13 weeks
    - Follow-up blood test at 16 weeks
    - Detection rate: 85%
    - False positive rate: 2%

(3) Second Trimester Maternal Blood Test
    - Blood test at 16 - 19 weeks
    - Detection rate: 63%
    - False positive rate: 5%

I'm having (2) Integrated Test. The difference is that the Integrated Test has a lower false positive rate. The doctor told me the number of people who go for (1) and (2) is about 50/50, which didn't really help in our decision, but since we were comfortable with waiting and wanted more accuracy (although these tests are not full-proof and are only indications of risk) we went for the Integrated Test. I believe test (3) is only applicable if you come after 13 weeks and 6 days of pregnancy.

Hope this helps. It would be best to check with your doctor/ob/gyn for greater clarification and consultation so you can make an informed decision.

Cheers.
    Autumn

Hey Autumn, nice to hear from you again! Thanks very much for the very useful information. You are a star! I will speak to my doctor more on this. Hopefully the ultrasound can tell me straightaway that I am in the low risk group. I still have about 2 weeks before my screening test. Fingers crossed!

Congratulations, you must be nearly at the end of your first trimester?! And I am probably a couple of weeks behind you. We are like preggy buddies, haha. Pity we will have to go through our 3rd trimester in the HK summer, hot hot hot! Nice to know someone is going through it with me.

Sunny :)

Autumn Leaves is offline Registered User
    No worries Sunny. Glad I could help in some way. There's so much to absorb for first time pregnancies. We seem to be bumping into each other!

I'm 15 weeks along, so yes, we are like preggy buddies. I have my second blood test in 1.5 weeks time for the Downs Test.

Hope your scan goes well and take care in the meantime.

Cheers
    Autumn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast