Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Food to avoid

newbies is offline Registered User
    Don't intend to go against what have been discussed here. But my relative who in on the bird nest business told me that Bird nest has no significant benefit other that help to clear the lung. The business is prosper due to all these beliefs that jack up the price.

I have 2 kids and I drank tea and coffee during my both pregnancy. My kids are fair though...not dark like coffee nor tea...heheh... Eat almost everything except those raw and unprocessed cheese.

I guess it is really depends on individual on what to and not to take i.e allergies, sensitive skin, general health, etc... etc...

Valencia is offline Registered User
    Hi, mamaS,

I cooked my bird's nest with an electric crock pot. The ready ones are just the same but they're much more expensive.

I'd been eating bird's nest before my pregnancy, but its effect was most obvious when I was pregnant. Bird's nest is mainly protein and collagen. My father thinks I'm exaggerating it's beneficial effect, something like a placebo, but I can feel the difference when I was eating it while pregnant. I was less tired, slept better and less stressful. But make sure you buy the real ones. The cheaper ones are often better than the really expensive ones, which are made up of glue. Don't buy the shiny ones, which mean glue.

However, I won't advise giving a baby bird's nest, since he/she may be allergic to it, and too young to digest it.

My mom told me to avoid mutton and durian because they were very hot and not good for pregnancy. Mutton is eaten during winter for the sake of keeping warm, so it's hot.

xox
    xox is offline Registered User
    when they say to avoid soft cheeses, does that include philadelphia cream cheese and mascopone?

mamaS is offline Registered User
    Hi xox,

i know it's those kind of camembert and brie.....

Hi Valencia,

Wow, you're an expert in buying birds nest, i don't have any idea which one is good as there are different price range. I thought the higher it is the better.
    Do you have any shop in particular that i can go to? I'm familiar with Sheng Wan and i know there are lots of shops there selling this.

Thanks.

Mama S,

I'm not an expert (blushing). Bird's nest is suitable for people who feel hot rather than cold (Chinese concept of hot and cold). If you feel cold or have a weak body, then bird's nest is not suitable. You may buy some ready bottled ones to see if they're suitable for you (any allergies etc) before buying dried bird's nest.

Sheung Wan is a good place for buying dried seafood and stuffs like that, since some shops do wholesale. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with shops there. I usually buy in shops in my neighbourhood but will be too far for you (Kowloon). The ones that come from Indonesia should be OK. Mine cost $1000 for 3 taels, about $333 per tael (10 thin pieces). It's very wet now, so you'll get less for 1 tael than on a sunny winter day. Usually there're 6-7 medium pieces in 1 tael. Some are drier than others, the drier the better. Buy those that need no picking (the feathers). The ones that cost between $360 to $500 per tael should be OK. Avoid buying those over $1000 per tael since they always look shiny and are made up of glue. Make sure you buy the real ones. When soaked in water, they expand to at least 3-4 times their original size and smell nice.

virgobb is offline Registered User
    Mamas

I am a chinese and hence probably I can give you more info about "what not to eat in chinese' perspective".

My doctor told me not to eat -
    coffee and tea (bcoz of caffeine)
    any raw meat
    soft cheese

My mom told me not to eat -
    Fruit - avoid banana, papaya, watermelon - during early pregnancy. Orange and Apple, Grape are certainly GOOD. Mom said a limited amount of mango and pineapple is ok too; of course you should not eat too much to avoid hurting your stomach - it's true even you are NOT pregnant.
    Meat - avoid mutton; All the rest are OK. More meat can help your bb grow faster. Of course, do not eat too much goose or duck or "dark meat" - same token, you should not eat too much even you are not preg.
    Seafood - avoid Crab and Octupus. Some magazines says it can cause miscarriage. I actually eat shrimp, lobster, oyster (cooked), and all kind of fish.
    Vege - avoid tofu and turnip in the 1st trimester (but can eat afterwards). There is a kind of chinese vege called "bitter melon" which is too cold and should be avoid (I guess you have not tasted it before). All others are fine. Should take more green-leave vege as far as you can e.g. broccoli

Hence, in conclusion, not much food to avoid even from chinese perspective. Actually, my mom told me to "eat anything as you can" to keep balance diet - as pregnant women usually feel sick of a lot of food due to morning sickness.

BTW, no need to take to much expensive food during preg - both my Dr and my mom's comments. I will not take any bird nest during my preg because most bird nest get polluted. For chinese soup (which is important for chinese) I just cook vege + bone soup. No chinese herb is needed.

It's very long msg. Hope it helps.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    MamaS,

An MPhil is a research degree "Master of Philosophy", it required me to write a thesis.

I have never heard about oranges as being too cooling. The general things I've heard referred to were:

* Shrimp, prawns, & crab - too cooling & bad for baby's skin

* Snake - too hot & bad for baby's skin

* Lamb/mutton - too hot & superstition about "Yeung" causing epilepsy because the sound of "yeung" and the word for epilepsy in Chinese are homonyms.

Heard advice to avoid papaya (miscarriage danger) and also eat papaya (good for the baby)

Avoid durian - "too hot"

So, various people will tell you to do various things. Each woman will choose to observe some and not others and then pass on her advice in turn.

In my thesis, I write that it is (in one way) of making more sacred/special the time of pregnancy in Chinese folk practices/religion. It's part of an ever evolving "women's expressive culture".

I also think that practices of pregnancy prohibition and things that "must" be done are related to the prohibitions of "cho yuet" and "Toi gaau" (fetal education). They are all ways that women adjust to their new roles as mother (or are disciplined into their new roles as mothers).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast