Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Food to avoid

mamaS is offline Registered User

Food to avoid

Hello,

Are there any foods to eat or avoid during the early part of pregnancy. I read that chinese people avoid pineapple and papaya, maybe it's too cooling for the body???

Any website that discusses the right diet during pregnancy? thanks.

Lylah is offline Registered User
    go to www.babycenter.com

I personally did not avoid much during my pregnancy. I was just conscious that i was getting a balanced diet and not too much on the sugar side. But i did stay away from "raw foods" like sushi as they tend to give me stomach upset and that is what needs to be avoided.

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    mamaS, I was told that I should have avoided nuts during my pregnancy, which may or may not explain the eczema that my son has, but then again, I was also told to eat lots of nuts by the in-law for baby's brain growth. So there's lots of conflicting information out there. . . but if I had to do it again, I would probably avoid nuts, just to be on the safe side.

MontseKim is offline Registered User

Suggestions

Take the follwoing wiht a a grain of salt but I was told to avoid:
    Papaya - research finds that raw papaya can lead to miscarriage, concern being that slightly underripe payapa can have an impact although my doctor said you need to eat a lot of it.

Liver - too much Vit A can lead to abnormalities

Unpasterized Cheese - can lead to still births, miscarriage (once again you would have to eat a good amount)

Hope this helps.

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    according to chinese culture you are to avoid "cold" and wet "sup yeet" things
    like watermelon, mango, green bean dessert, banana, turnip, etc

also raw things and cold items.

according to my doctor i was to steer away from soft cheeses to avoid listeria which breeds in soft cheese and pate. do not eat liver due to the vitamin A, nuts due to allergies for the baby. sushi was alright as long as you go somewhere reputable (but i found that all of it is in the fridge anyways and how long it's been in there who knows) caffeine and the big fish which contain high levels of mercury. this is a big nono and he said that there has been a case where a woman ate swordfish everyday and her baby was born with mercury poisoning. so the big ones are like swordfish, shark, king mackerel, tuna. they recommend 12ounces of fish per week 6 ounces per serving. so only twice a week.

rani is offline Administrator
    hmmm...I ate a Papaya daily towards the end of my pregnancy to avoid constipation.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

mamaS is offline Registered User
    Towards the end is alright, but not during the first trimester - well, that's the chinese belief.

Quote Originally Posted by rani
    hmmm...I ate a Papaya daily towards the end of my pregnancy to avoid constipation.

Valencia is offline Registered User
    I was told to avoid snakes and mutton along with those already mentioned. According to my mom, watermelon and ice-cream should be avoided during the early stage of pregnancy, but should be eaten more in the third trimester since it would make labouring easier.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast