Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Nervous Mom

Histamin is offline Registered User
    Hi, Lynn, LouPou, Valencia
    I'm competely agree with your opinion against too much homework system in HongKong school.
    I'm searching primary schools for my son from this point.
    I also don't want to send my children to these local schools. I heard St.Paul co-ed school is very good school as academicaly, but my friend's son is doing homework until 1am midnight. Too much homework is just wasting time, I think, Is it really effective way for some children whom parents are keen to on some schools like Band 1?
    I found Po Leung Kok Tan Siu Lin primary school which is located in Yau Ma Tei, have you heard any kids go there from HongKong Island side?
    Histamin

carang is offline Registered User
    ~Come, Play With Me!~

I Tried to teach my child with book,
    He gave me only puzzled looks,
    I tried to teach my child with words.
    They passed him, by often unheard.
    Despairingly I turned aside.
    "How can I teach this child?” I cried.
    Into my hands he put the key,
    "Come" he said, play with me!"

~Author Unknown~

~Just Playing~

When I'm building in the block room, please don't say I'm "just playing".
    For you see, I'm learning as I play, about balance and shapes.
    Who knows, I may be an architect someday.

When I'm getting all dressed up, setting the table, caring for the babies,
    don't get the idea I'm "just playing". For you see, I'm learning as I play;
    I may be a mother or a father someday.

When you see me up to my elbows in paint or standing at an easel, or moulding
    and shaping clay, please don't let me hear you say, "He is just playing.”
    For you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm expressing myself and being creative.
    I may be an artist or an inventor someday.

When you see me sitting in a chair "reading" to an imaginary audience,
    Please don't laugh and think I'm "just playing".
    For you see, I'm learning as I play.
    I may be a teacher someday.

When you see me combing the bushes for bugs, or packing my pockets with choice
    things I find, don't pass it off as "just playing." For you see, I'm learning as I play.
    I may be a scientist someday.

When you see me engrossed in a puzzle or some "plaything" at my school,
    please don't feel the time is wasted in "play". For you see, I'm learning as I play.
    I'm learning to solve problems and to concentrate.
    I may be in business someday.

When you see me cooking or tasting foods, please don't think that because I enjoy it, it is "just playing." I'm learning to follow directions and see differences.
    I may be a cook someday.

When you see me learning to skip, hop, run and move my body, please don't say I'm "just playing". For you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning how my body works.
    I may be a doctor, nurse or athlete someday.

When you ask me what I've done at school today, and I say, "I just played,”
    please don't misunderstand me. For you see, I'm learning as I play.
    I'm learning to enjoy and be successful in my work. I'm preparing for tomorrow.
    Today, I am a child and my work is play.

by Anita Wadley

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    Hi Carang,

The poem you posted made me think of this poem that my beloved stp-dad sent to me when I started university. It's also about education and learning, but more abstract:

Warning to Children

Children, if you dare to think
    Of the greatness, rareness, muchness
    Fewness of this precious only
    Endless world in which you say
    You live, you think of things like this:
    Blocks of slate enclosing dappled
    Red and green, enclosing tawny
    Yellow nets, enclosing white
    And black acres of dominoes,
    Where a neat brown paper parcel
    Tempts you to untie the string.

In the parcel a small island,
    On the island a large tree,
    On the tree a husky fruit.
    Strip the husk and pare the rind off:
    In the kernel you will see
    Blocks of slate enclosed by dappled
    Red and green, enclosed by tawny
    Yellow nets, enclosed by white
    And black acres of dominoes,
    Where the same brown paper parcel -

Children, leave the string alone!
    For who dares undo the parcel
    Finds himself at once inside it,
    On the island, in the fruit,
    Blocks of slate about his head,
    Finds himself enclosed by dappled
    Green and red, enclosed by yellow
    Tawny nets, enclosed by black
    And white acres of dominoes,
    With the same brown paper parcel
    Still untied upon his knee.
    And, if he then should dare to think
    Of the fewness, muchness, rareness,
    Greatness of this endless only
    Precious world in which he says
    he lives - he then unties the string.

-- Robert Graves

Valencia is offline Registered User
    Carang and Loupou, thanks for your poems. The one "Come, Play With Me!~ " best illustrates the situation of my child, or any other child. Whenever I try to revise her books with her, she'll say "I'm not in the mood", then she'll suggest playing a game with her. As for Robert Grave's one, I'm still figuring out what it means.

Histamin,

I haven't heard of Po Leung Kok Tan Siu Lin primary school before. But Po Leung Kuk is a famous educational instituion, and most of its schools are band 1 schools, though not in English medium. Mind you, Po Leung Kuk's schools are pushing its students hard, academically and in extra-curricular competitions, because their minds are set on becoming a prestigious brand of schools. It's becoming a direct subsidiary school very soon, which means it will have tution fee just like a private school, and it's full time, of course. All local primary schools will be full time by 2007.

In fact, I do not object to 8 or 10 items of homework a day, which are good for building up a good academic foundation of a child. I grew up under the local system with this workload, and it gave me a good academic foundation. It's the long school hours I'm against. When I was in primary school, it was half day. I had time to play during the day, now the word "play" is just like a dream for the poor kids. Why the change to full day school, because there're not enough students to support a school, and the less competitive ones are moving or closing down soon. So those morons at the educational bureaus are sacrificing our kids' energy and sleep to save the schools and educational workers. Imagine these kids are the future of our society, being brought up in a system with the lack of sleep and play at so early an age. I'm still figuring out how I can help my daughter to survive when she goes to primary school. Why don't those morons let the children finish homework before they come home so that they'll have time to play and rest?

If only we'll listen to our children and make them happy, they'll be willing to learn. But the present system just doesn't allow that. By the time they found out full day primary school is too tiring for kids, my child would have graduated then.

So why don't I send my child to an international school? I want her to be bilingual, that's my consideration.
    Last edited by Valencia; 03-01-2006 at 10:57 AM.

you could try chinese international school or yew chung international school...

even if you send your child to an international school, if you speak cantonese at home, your daughter will still be bilingual. she would need help with reading and writing though.

good luck!

and more importantly, RELAX! your pressure on her may just have the opposite effect to what you want!

Histamin is offline Registered User
    Hi, Valencia
    I'm glad to hear your opinion about Po Leung Kok local schools, because I'm foreingner in HongKong, I've never experienced HongKong's school.
    It's not normal in my country that small age of kids in primary school have many homeworks and exams, we even don't have activities after school in primary stage 1 to 3, so we're only playing with our classmates after school.
    I found Po Leung Kok Tan Siu Lin school in Kowloon side, they said 30% of the students from overseas, they're learning in multi-cultural atmosphere, so I'm considering this school for my son who is growing as mixed.
    I prefer international school, ESF to local school without caring how much should we expense money for our children's education. But what do you think about their chinese (if you want them learn Chinese)?
    Are all the local schools really doing same like sacrifing children's rest and sleep?
    I heard some schools (private ones) don't, but it's hard to get in because of overwhelming of applications..

Valencia is offline Registered User
    Histamin,

>>Are all the local schools really doing same like sacrificng children's rest and sleep?

I'm afraid yes. For example, my friend's sons are in P.1 - P.3. Their school doesn't have much homework, in fact. However, this year it's moved from Kwun Tong to Tseung Kwan O. They live in Kwun Tong. So the poor kids have to get up at 6:30 and catch the school bus, which arrives at the school at 7:30, even though the classes start at 8:00. School ends at 3:30, by the time the kids reach home, they're simply exhausted. Moreover, their school requires each student to have at least one sports activity, and they have to attend other extra-curricular activities after school, which leave them little time for homework and revising, let alone play.

90% of schools have at least 6 or more homework per day, plus tests and exams. Those who have less homework are usually not band 1 school and have a poor English standard. I can think of two exceptions. One is DBS, one of those you mentioned so hard to get in. Another one is Creative Primary School in Kowloon Tong, which unlike traditional schools, is activity based. However, most parents are worried that their kids may not catch up academically if they study in this kind of school.

In short, the study environment here is crazy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast