Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Nervous Mom

Valencia is offline Registered User

Hi, Histamin,

DSS is direct subsidiary school, which means (to me) schools that had no school fees will have once they become DSS, schools which had lower school fees will have higher ones. These schools are all band one schools, no one will pay to study a non band-one school.

DBS is Diocesan Boys' School, its female equal is DGS, Diocesan Girls' School, NO.1 schools in HK.

Starting 2007, all local primary schools will be full day schools, because of the lack of students and childbirth basically. Secondary schools are full day, as always. Only kindergartens have am and pm sessions.

HK's education is abnormal, basically.:alien:

carang is offline Registered User

actually, i believe that most places have whole-day school... .HK was my first encounter with only half day primary schools...usually only kindergartens are half day(and in canada only for one year!)

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Hi Valencia,

I think DSS does make a difference, because they don't have to conform to the EMB dictates so strictly. Some DSS are former Band-1 English medium schools, but others are start-ups, and in Cantonese medium.

When you say "won't make a difference" - I agree that there is a lot of competition for those places ('though nothing like for schools like La Salle, etc.), but once the child is enrolled in some of them - there* is* a difference in amount of home-work and style of learning (or so I'm told by my neighbors and colleagues who send their kids to some of these Cantonese medium DSS schools).

Are you on HK-Island? I think there are less DSS schools and they are, as you describe them, former band-1 aided schools, like St. Paul's.

Here's a list of DSS schools from the EMB <http://www.emb.gov.hk/FileManager/EN/Content_175/schlist2005-06_fees_e.pdf> , the primary schools are listed on pages 6-8.

There seem to be more in Kowloon and NT.

Valencia is offline Registered User

Thanks, Loupou,

Thanks for the list. But I think I didn't express myself clearly. I didn't mean the students compete for places as in schools like La Salle. It's the other way round, all schools don't have enough students so they're changing to full day schools, and they have to compete in order to have enough students, or else they'll have to close down. So the principal asks the teachers to do lots of things other than teaching, like organising activities to please the parents and students, or paying home visits individually, every student, asking the students to participate in extra-curricular activities and inter-school competitions, having extra-assessments, pushing the students' academic achievements, etc. I've heard even DPS has an open day, like other schools. I have received all sorts of school souvenirs from diff schools like leaflets, calendars, memo pads, lai see packets etc. You can see the competition BETWEEN SCHOOLS for students, not students for schools, is very keen. Btw, I didn't receive anything from the top schools in my district.

That's the problem, the schools exert pressure on teachers and students in order to survive.

I have a few good schools on my mind but I'm afraid my child will have lots of pressure surviving in those schools (sigh).

Sorry to be longwinded.

kiwimango_88 is offline Registered User

Hi

Can anyone recommend some Band 1 local primary schools in the western district, i live in Sheung Wan?

Thanks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234