Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Formula VS Full Fat Milk

HKfornow is offline Registered User

Formula VS Full Fat Milk

How long do we need to keep our kids on formula? In the US we proceeded to fresh milk after baby turned one, but after we moved to HK, people convinced us to go back to formula, which we did.

Now baby is nearing 3, so I'm wondering whether to go to the next stage of formula or revert back to milk? (and if fresh milk, full fat, or low-fat?) Just curious what you guys are doing. Any advise appreciated.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    I went on to whole milk at age 1 because I was sick of mixing formula. But, in HK, formulas are often cheaper than fresh milk.

When my kids were two or three, we went to skim milk, because that's what DH and I use and it was easier to buy just 1 type. The biggest struggle was to get them off the bottles and drinking out of glasses.

My kids don't drink much cow milk. Maybe 1 cup or so a day? Most of their protein and calcium comes from meat and veggies and nuts.

mulk is offline Registered User
    We never used formula. We introduced cow's milk at 1 year---full fat. Then at age 2, we switched to skim milk (per American Academy of Pediatrics). My son LOVES milk. He usually drinks skimmed UHT milk from Australia. My daughter doesn't care for milk but will drink it if it's chocolate flavor.

I think the extended formula thing here is due to marketing by the formula companies.

joannek is offline Registered User
    I asked my pediatrian (Leo Chan, who is into natural bringing up) whether I should give her fresh milk or formula when I start to wean my baby at 1 yr-old (she's been breastfed). And he suggested formula. So that's what I mixing her with now (she just turned one), formula & breast. I guess w/ formula you've got most of the other nutrition other thsn protein, calcium & fat.

rani is offline Administrator
    We switched from formula to full fat milk at around 18mths. D was doing fine and then 6 mths later D got a rash all over his face. Took me a while to figure out it was the milk and I switched brands but it didn't clear up. We then switched to calcium enriched soya milk but he got really phelmy and would cough all night. We're now on rice milk and he loves it. A friend suggested I try re-introducing whole milk again.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Forgot to add that D is a vegetarian (by choice) so I also give him a multi-viatmin and cod liver oil daily
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

momo is offline Registered User
    Rani, what type of cod liver oiil do you give your son? Is it capsule? How do you get him to take it. I recall when I was young I had to take cod liver oil in liquid form and it was quite disgusting.

We give him Scotts Cod Liver Oil. Its liquid form and comes in orange or lemon flavor. He gets a glass of fresh carrot/fruit juice daily and we mix it in with his juice. Its definitely helped build his immunity and would highly recommend it. Its available at Parknshop and most pharmacies.

Rani
    Last edited by rani; 02-20-2006 at 02:06 PM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com