Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Use of Public Hospital

1st_time_dad is offline Registered User

Use of Public Hospital

Hi all,

I have been working in HK for the last 3 and half years, and have the HK ID card. But my wife is a China national, and doesn't have the ID. What kind of rate would we be charged for giving birth at a public hospital in HK? If we can't enjoy the preferential rate for ID cardholders, then we might as well go to a private hospital.

Thank you for the information

carang is offline Registered User

as far as i know, it's the patient, ie the mother, that needs to have a HKID....
    but you could call the hospital authority to find out for sure...

sunnysideup is offline Registered User

It's not difficult to apply for a HKID card for your wife. She will be your dependant and have her own HKID card. Are there any restrictions for China national to have an HKID card? I am sure not coz I have seen a Chinese girl (with China passport) applying the card in front of me.

It is expensive to go private. If you can go public, why not? All it takes is one afternoon in WanChai immigration tower.

rani is offline Administrator

A friend who delivered at Queen Mary last summer told me the hospital was really busy with Mainland women. Not sure if the rules are different, best to give the hospital a call and check.

Rani

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Yes, I have heard that the government is trying to crack down on illegitimate mainland Chinese giving birth in HK as it is costing HK too much. But since you guys are married and you have a HKID card by merit, you should have no problem in getting her a card too.

Check with the Immigration department first if you are not sure. http://www.immd.gov.hk/index.html

And good luck! Once she is registered, at least you have a choice to go public or private. And can even do a combination e.g. have prenatal checkups in private clinic, then delivery in public hospital such as Queen Mary.

Private hospital delivery (including doctors fee) should amount to a minimum of 45K. This doesn't include the prenatal checkups, roughly about 15K I think including tests. Check with your insurance now to see how much you are covered. That would put things into perspective and help you to decide whether you should go private or public.

Sunny

I think HK$3000 per night should be if you use the private system within Prince of Wales. Queen Mary is a government ie. public hospital but they also offer private facilities and I read the price can be just as high as if you opt to deliver in private hospitals like Adventist, Canossa, or Mitilda.

Otherwise you should expect to pay very little (less than $1000) for the whole delivery (include hotel stay) at a public hospital. Did hear that the food is really really horrible though, haha.

rads is offline Banned

Hello,

You are not eligable for the public system if you DO NOT have an HKID...this is boldly stated all over the QHM( public ) hospital where I had my baby 3 weeks ago....it does not matter if your husband is a HKID card holder or not...it's the mother who has to have a HKID.....The cost for a NON HKID holder is almost as high a going to a private hospital...but u will need to check with the public hospital...so I guess ur best bet is to see IF ur wife is eligible for an HKID cards or then you may have to go private.

Hope this helps....

1st_time_dad is offline Registered User

Thank you all for the replies and advices. We have been trying to get a HKID for my wife for some time, and seems that the law in HK is that unless you are a British National/a Permanent HKID cardholder/a China National with a HK work visa, your spouse cannot apply for a HKID. Since I am a US citizen, we don't qualify. I guess it's the private hospital then

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast