Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

When to introduce solid food for a beastfeed boy?

amychukityi is offline Registered User

When to introduce solid food for a beastfeed boy?

Wanna to know when will the best time to introduce solid food for my 6.5 months old son who is exclusively beastfeed?

If I start with rice cereal, would it better to mix it with my beast milk or just mix it with formula.

As I'm a working mon, pls advise once the baby starts with solid food, do I need to express my milk as frequent as now (3-4 times during office hours 0800-1800 on weekdays).

Amy

rani is offline Administrator

Hi Amy,

We introduced solids at 5.5mths. We started with rice cereal and I mixed it with breast milk. I followed Gina Ford's book on Weaning. We gave D 2 tsps of rice cereal at his 11am feed. Best to start in the morning, so you can observe any allergic reactions. We stuck with rice cereal for 2 weeks I think and then slowly introduced pears, sweet potatoes and other fruits (except banana which is too sweet). You can introduce a new food every 3 days. I can't remember exactly when we introduced the 2nd solid meal. Will have to check my diary when home. But once the 11am meal was established we introduced another solid meal at 5pm. Again we started with rice cereal, and then the other solids that he liked and didn't have any reactions to.

More info on Gina Ford's weaning is here:
    http://www.contentedbaby.com/WeaningGuidelines.htm

La Leche League's tips on weaning
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBweaning.html

You will probably still need to pump the same amount for the first few weeks.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

mammalicious is offline Registered User

when do you start tapering down on breastfeeds ? i have read from many books, that my baby will still need at least 500ml of milk/day until about 10months (or so as i can't remember if it's slightly earlier) but my doctor said that i shouild start cutting it down?? i thought milk was still the most important for the first year.

Rani - did you feed any other liquids once you began to cut down on the milk?

rani is offline Administrator

I know you don't need to, but I started giving D water quite early. He was born in the middle of summer and was a very sweaty baby. I was feeding almost every 30mins, and thats not during growth spurts. I figured he must be thirsty rather than hungry so I gave him water.

You're right from 6-12mths a baby needs 500-600ml (16-20 oz) of milk. So thats 3-4 feeds of 5-7oz

Here's a feeding plan for 4-5mth old

Da 1-3
    7am - breastfeed 6-8 oz
    11am breastfeed 6-8 oz + 1tsp of rice cereal mixed with breastmilk
    2pm, 6pm, 10pm breastfeed

Day 4-6
    7am - breastfeed 6-8 oz
    11am breastfeed 6-8 oz and 1 cube of pear/carrot/sweet potatoe puree
    2pm, breastfeed 5-7 oz
    6pm, breatsfeed +1-2tsp of rice cereal
    10pm breastfeed

Every 3 days you introduce a new fruit/veggie at the 11am feed, and then gradually increase the quantity at the 6pm feed, and by the end of the month you should have dropped the 10pm feed.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

homedad is offline Registered User

Hello,

I wanted to know how really to get a 5yr old boy chew/eat without too much talking/ reasoning all the time?