Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Delivering overseas

mywing is offline Registered User

Delivering overseas

I would like to know the restrictions which airlines have on allowing an expectant on board e.g. the maximum number of weeks she is allowed to board a plane. Thanks.

rads is offline Banned

Thumbs up Cathay Pacific

Hello,

As far as I know CX allows from to fly till their 36th week ...most other airlines allow you to travel between your 32th to 35th week.

Every airline is different. You need to check with the specific airline you wish to travel on.

You will need a doctors certificate to state that you are how many weeks pregnant & your fit to travel. Though most of the times the airline does not look at it...but it's better to carry it with you. Aslo you MAYBE asked to sign an idemnity form.

Hope it helps.

I had travelled in my 36th week on CX .

All the best!!!

MickeyMom is offline Registered User
    rads-
    did you travel short haul or long haul on your 36th week?
    I was told that between 32-36th week, only short haul flights are recommended, even by CX

AlexGuitel is offline Registered User
    Hello ladies,
    I travelled Paris - HK on Air France at 32 weeks and no one asked me for my doctors's certificate...
    Althrought I had some medical advice of my obstetrician before the flight:
    1/ Don't move too much except for the yoga
    2/ Don't stress at all
    3/ I was carrying a suppository that I should have taken if the delivery had started. It didn't need it but in case, ask you OB to give you something to slow the delivery
    4/ Show them you doctor certificate saying how long pregnant you are but don't sign any indemnity or discharge of responsability form. The pilote of the plane is fully responsible of each soul on board so advice them that you are pregnant when you purchase your ticket and it's there responsability to make sure everything's ok.
    But are you sure you want to deliver overseas?
    In all cases, take care,
    Alexandra
    :yeah2 :yeah2

mywing is offline Registered User
    Many thanks for all your reply, which are most useful. I will be travelling on a short haul flight, for about four hours. I am trying to maximise the maternity leave which is why I want to travel as late into my pregnancy as possible. Thanks.

rads is offline Banned
    Hello MM,

I took a six hour trip on the last day I could possibly travel...just keep yourself well hydrated with water.

Have a good trip

bbvv is offline Registered User
    Deciding whether or not to give birth in UK as I am originally from there. Do anyone know the maximum number of weeks doctors/hospitals accept for registering a pregnant woman for delivery. I am currently working and only get 10 weeks maternity leave. I will take a further month off from work hence want to see if giving birth in UK is feasible.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I had my third child in the UK. I travelled at 32 weeks because the school summer holidays started here that week but my airline would have let me travel up to 35 weeks. Nobody asked any questions on the aeroplane when I travelled. And I found the flight no more uncomfortable that a normal one.

Once in England I visited my GP within days and she organized everything for me. I was already registered with the GP and my mother had been to visit her. I was staying with my mother for the birth. The usual birth coverage with my GP was to see the GP or midwife for the check ups and see the Obstetrician at the hospital at 16, 35 and 41 weeks. I was able to get everything arranged for the 35 week hospital check up.

I also travel back to England when pregnant with my fourth child. I was about 24 weeks at the time. No one questioned me travelling from Hong Kong to England or from England to France but returning to England I had to show a doctor’s certificate at the airport in Paris. I then returned to Hong Kong at about 30 weeks and didn’t need the doctor’s certificate. This return journey I found very uncomfortable. My legs swelled up and it was very painful for the second half of the flight. Walking around helped but I felt so big and clumsy that I had to choose between the pain and the embarrassment!

Best wishes,
    Barb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast