Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

To drive or not to drive?

mamamei is offline Registered User

To drive or not to drive?

One of the things I love about Hong Kong compared to other cities I have lived in is the low cost and high efficiency of our public transport system. But now that our first baby is due to arrive in August, my husband and I are seriously considering buying a car.

I would love to hear your thoughts on whether you think having or not having a car makes a big difference to your day-to-day lives -- Is it safer for the baby to be in a car seat with me driving, or in a Baby Bjorn with me seatbelted into a taxi? Is it more convenient to drive, then park the car and walk to my destination, or getting a taxi door to door?

Thanks so much!

saralee is offline Registered User
    I would say it is definitely safer to have your baby in a car seat in your own car rather than the baby bjorn in a taxi but it is cheaper and more convenient a lot of the time to take a taxi or public transport.

I think with a baby you don't really NEED a car in Hong Kong. However once they start walking and wanting to be out and about, it can get pretty exhausting carting around their "luggage" plus anything you wish to carry.

Having a car I find it is very convenient to take my kids to parks/playgrounds and other activites however if I need to get into town quickly or go to an area which is not convenient for parking, I will opt for public transport or a taxi instead.

Haven't really answered your question I know but I really do find a car invaluable in my circumstances but like you also think HK's public transport system is excellent and use it probably equally as much as the car.

rani is offline Administrator
    I guess it depends on where you live and where you tend to go. We live in Pok Fu Lam and got a car soon after D was born. I have to admit I was pretty disorganised and used to carry a stroller, baby bjorn and a HUGE diaper bag. Most of our playdates were on the south side and most buildings have parking.We only took public transport to Central.

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

mamamei is offline Registered User
    Ladies, thanks so much! We live in Mid Levels, so public transport is super-convenient. I think we will probably start off without a car and see how we get on, then as you say maybe get one when baby is a little bigger and we start to get out more. Maybe by then the Prius will drop in price!