Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

AlexGuitel is offline Registered User
    Mid Levels
    I drink 1/2 L of milk a day for now 10 years and have no problems with calcium, great teeth, hair & nails. Same when I was pregnant so maybe it's a good amount...
    Take care
    :yeah2 :yeah2

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

I would recommend you to drink the added "calcium" orange juice from Tropicana (NOT from concentrate). I've had it throughout my pregnancy and I believe it helped me alot and also my dd's bones.

virgobb is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Yes, you can actually get calcium from a lot of other foods. e.g. orange, sardines (with bones) ...

In the chart, I find that even sesame seed contains a lot of calcium. It's good because I like sesame seed. In Chinese cuisine we have a sweet soup by sesame seed and I like it very much :D

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    you need about 1200mg of calcium per day i was told.

you can get calcium from dairy products and also very green veggies. also i took calcium supplements as well. during pregnancy, the baby takes a lot of your calcium, so i believe that you need to ensure you get ample amounts.

please note though, that when taking calcium supplements, your body will only absorb around 500gm at a time, so take one tablet in them morning and one at night. also you need vitamin D for your body to absorb the calcium. not sure if you need the vitamin D + magnesium though.

hope this helps

joannek is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    when i was pregnant, i drank pura skim. one giant latte cup (at least 450ml) morning & night. i used to add horlick to it cos you're not suppose to drink cold drinks when u'r pregnant & i hated warm milk. so i added horlick (horlick only, no additional sugar, but horlick is quite sweet on its own) to disguise the taste. but when it was time to check my blood glucose, i was borderline failing. so my obgyn gave me one more chance - checked me again after a month. so i stopped the horlick totally, and just drank plain skimmed milk warmed (holding my nose). when i checked blood glucose again 1 mth later, i was better than normal!!
    so watch out for those things u add to your milk.

if it's for the calcium, u can choose to go to IMI (17/F kailey bldg, stanley st) to get the cal-mag from whole food . very gd. i'm still taking them now that my baby is 14 mths-old. cos im still bf her.

gd luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12