Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

jetlag

mammalicious is offline Registered User

jetlag

does anyone have any suggestions on how i can help my baby cope with jetlag better? we'll be flying to LA for 3 weeks to see family, but am really worried that my 7 month old will be up every night and sleeping every day until we leave. then arriving back in hk, only to have adjusted to LA time.

any thoughts would be great!

Thanks ahead of time

Nuckle75 is offline Registered User

Hi!

I've taken my son home to NZ a few times and we haven't had too much trouble - it usually takes about 4 days to settle into the time zone.

He's normally up at around 7am when we are in HK so all I did was wake him up at 7am local time on the first day there. Then I put him down for his naps and bedtime on local time as well. I made sure that he didn't nap too long in the day (felt really awfull waking him but it was for the best) and within a few days he was fine. Then I did the same thing when we got back to HK.

Also, on the flight, make sure you breast feed (or bottle) on descent because it helps to stop their ears from popping which is very painful for them.

They're pretty resilient at this age - I'm dreading when he's a bit older and just wants to run around the plane!

Good luck!

spsmok is offline Registered User

Totally agree with Nuckle75.

My daughter didn't have much problem adjusting to the 16 hour time difference when she was 5 months & 13 months. We arrived in the day, and I didn't let my daughter take long nap upon arrival. I was lucky my daughter was easy to please and settle down. She was attracted by the new environment and people immediately.

The next day or two, she would wake up maybe a couple of hours before her usual wake up time. But as Nuckle75 said, just stick to the local time for naps and bedtime.

I brought my daughter's usual blanket and toy that she usually went to sleep with, but she ended up not needing them. But my friend's son refused to go to sleep without his usual blanket. So you might want to think about that.

Hope you have a good flight.

mammalicious is offline Registered User

thanks so much for the advice!! am going to try and cross my fingers i have the same luck as you!!

Scroll to top