Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stroller vs. Sling

Bumblebzz is offline Registered User

Question Stroller vs. Sling

To all you experienced hk moms out there...what are your thoughts?

I know I'll definately need a stroller (which one is still a mystery...), but in the babies first few mths or even later when I just want to get around hk quickly, is a sling (like Maya wrap or baby bjorn) a better solution?

Of the two, which do you like best?..and why?

thks!

Erin is offline Registered User

My youngest is 4 months old. I never go down shopping without both my stroller (the umbrella one) and a baby carrier. At four months, my guy is already 17 lbs. I's die carring him around all day. With that said, if he's unhappy in the stroller, the baby carrier will often buy me some time when I'm out and about. I can breastfeed when he's in one of my carriers (which is really great). Also, I usually stick him in the carrier when I'm at the bus stop. That way my hands are free to deal with the stroller, packages and my two year old.

Sorry, I can't comment on a Maya wrap or Baby Bjorn. I have a Babyhawk Mai Tai, Red Castle carrier, Cuddly wrap, and a back pack.

Hope that helps...

jools is offline Registered User

Hi Bumblebzz,

Definitely without a shadow of a doubt my mayawrap sling. There are so many reasons why, I could write a book. Here are just a selection.
    * There's no stopping or folding of stroller when I'm going somewhere that the stroller won't go.
    * My child is at my height so there is alot of interaction and talking with her.
    * She feels snug and safe as she is close to Mummy.
    * I can breastfeed whilst I'm moving around in the sling or if I want to sit down we have our own private 'room' where I can nurse and cover her up with the tail of the sling.
    * The crippling amount of stairs, especially in Central, are easy with the sling and my child isn't getting bounced around or having to be pushed on the road to avoid the narrow pavements and steps.
    * Talking of roads and cars, as I've said in the sling my baby is at head height, not car exhaust height as she would be in the stroller.
    * My baby can also sleep in the sling, sung and warm next to Mummy.

I could go on about attachment parenting and the advantages this has both to the baby and older child, but that could take pages. As you can tell I'm a great fan of my Mayawrap sling.It definitely get my vote.

Jools

carang is offline Registered User

personally, i hated my baby bjorn... i had back pain when i was preggers... and carrying my boy around in the sling felt like i was pregnant again...

i have a stroller that i couldn't do without! but i also have a backpack that my boy LOVES! he sees over my shoulder and just loves being up there!

only problem is that since he was 10.5 months(when he started walking independently) he hasn't much enjoyed anything else!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I found that my babies were much happier in a sling than in a stroller when they were little and I liked them being so close to me. I live on Hong Kong side and everywhere seems to have steps so I often found that I had to carry both baby and stroller up them. I also didn’t like the fact that the baby was at exhaust height when in the stroller.

As my babies got bigger and heavier I did start using a stroller more. I found they were much happier to sit in one when it was a choice between walking or the stroller instead of being carried and the stroller. So around 12 months we started using one. Once they were use to the stroller they would be happy to sleep in it too which meant I could be out and about when they napped. I could manage walking about with a little sleeping baby in a sling but not a larger one.

My favourite sling is the mayawarp. I found it useful for a different reason at every age. When they are little they are close up and snuggled in close. As they grow and start taking an interest in the world you can sit them looking out. At around six months you can move them to sit on your hip – this makes carrying babies much easier. And as they start to walk it is easy to slip them in and out of the sling. Toddlers love to walk but not very far!

I also tried a front pack but didn’t like it much because as the baby got heavier all the weight was at the front. It reminded me too much of being nine month pregnant.

Best wishes,
    Barb

Bumblebzz is offline Registered User

Wow so much to consider! Thks for info.

We're still debating over which stroller. We like the idea of a three in one...but they're SOOO BIG (like graco,eddie bauer etc). Hubby likes the bugaboo...but geez, they're so expensive! Seems like a waste of $...but boys love their toys!-sigh

When I investigated the slings, I knew maya wrap was one of the more talked about (and maybe favored) slings around.
    Then I came across another sling that got rave revues...it's called "hotslings". http://www.hotslings.com/

I ended up ordering a couple. The fabrics are soo cute and they look really easy to use & comfy for mom & baby. (I hope so!)

http://store.attachedtobaby.com/default.aspx This site has various slings,pouches, etc.

My husband would rather use something a little more "manly"-ha...like the baby bjorn. I hear they have a new "active" model out, that has improved back/lumbar support...so we may end up with one of those as well.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

The slings at http://www.hotslings.com/ look very similar to the pouches at http://www.mayawrap.com/p_mwpouch.php

I have a friend who has been using a pouch with her daughter and has been delighted with it. She found it much simpler to use than the regular sling. But recently, her daughter is now 11 mouths, the baby has been swinging backwards and my friend thinks there isn’t enough material at the back for this to be safe so she has swapped over to the sling.

If you want to save money then waiting to get a stroller when you actually need it rather than when the baby is still very small is a good idea. That way you don’t need to buy the top of the range with all the special equipment for tiny babies – just the standard for older babies/children.

We took our four year old to London last summer and didn’t take a stroller with us. She was walking everywhere in Hong Kong but in London the distances were so much further. After one day my husband has had enough of carrying her and thought the £49.90 we paid for a new stroller very worthwhile.

Best wishes,
    Barb

Roshna is offline Registered User

Hi,

I have a three-month old and we have used the baby bjorn since she got to 8 lbs which is the minimum weight requirement. I find it really convenient - i talk to her while we are walking, i can wipe her drool easily, my hands are free, she's not at exhaust levels, it's easy to get in and out of vehicles. The only drawback for me is my back does hurt in the evenings after i have been out with her for long in the day.

I would say a sling is very useful here but once baby gets heavier, you'll really need a stroller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast