Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

help a foreign mom choose a local primary school

lenima is offline Registered User

help a foreign mom choose a local primary school

Hello,

I have a 4 year old daughter and in a few months we must apply to primary schools for her. We want to apply to local schools and will go through the central allocation but also probably will apply to some private or DSS schools. But it's not easy to get info in English which I can read! Can anyone give advice on local schools? Or offer any websites with 'chat' regarding schools, in English?

I am in Ma On Shan and prefer schools close to here but would consider schools a bit further such as in Yau Tong.

Does anyone know about these schools, their good and bad points? Pegasus Philip Wong Primary School at Yau Tong, Logos Academy in Tseung Kwan O, Pui Kiu in Tai Wai, Ma On Shan Methodist Primary, CAHC Chan Primary in Shatin...

I prefer a school where the teachers and principal truly care about the students and are open to new and healthy/humane/well-rounded teaching methods and curriculum. And are sincere in communicating with parents.
    There must be schools like this but it's hard for me to get the info.

Thanks.

rani is offline Administrator

Hi Lenima,

We haven't seen you in ages. There was an interesting discussion recently on DSS schools. Here it is:

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/thread117819.html

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

melohk is offline Registered User

i will prefer the school in Shatin rather than Ma On Shan and would u like to send your kid to boy/girl school or both?

I do prefer that my child goes to school as close to home as possible...but if I cannot find schools in Ma On Shan, then I am willing to try schools in Shatin, or elsewhere in NT or Kowloon side. I don't mind whether she goes to an all-girl or co-ed school.

Rani thanks for the welcome and the link, I read it and it was informative! Gives me a start at least. It really is kind of weird the way the EMB pits schools against each other in such destructive competition, to attract students or be closed down. Not healthy or constructive at all.

I think I will look seriously at DSS schools but if anyone hears of any purely local public schools which manage to "do well" (student number, academics) while ALSO staying open and innovative in terms of teaching creatively and with sincere feelings for the students...I would love to hear about them, just to know how much scope public schools really have for being student-centered yet still "successful" in EMB terms.

Hi,

I'm considering Pui Kiu but it seems to have a rather strong pro-China bent, which I'm not sure I favor. first of all my child only has one Chinese parent--would the culture of the exclude make her a sort of "second class" Chinese? Then there is the aspect of association with the DAB (pro-China political party) which I am not a fan of. I prefer an environment where healthy questioning is encouraged, not unqualified submission to authority. So. That might be alot of questions for a new school, but there it is.

For kindies, Think international in Ma On Shan and HK Preschool (in Royal Ascot, Fo Tan) come to mind.

In my case we speak mostly English at home and have lots of books and other English input so I chose to put my girl in a local kindergarten, where the teaching's all in Cantonese and they just have a bit of English and Putonghua. It's fine so far.

marcusdad is offline Registered User

Smile

Hi

What you try "Renaissance College (啓新書院) " in Ma On Shan,

A new school with the ESF tradition of excellence

http://renaissance.esf.edu.hk/home.htm

It will open for students in September 2006, focus both English and Chinese.

Hope it might help!

Bye

Quote Originally Posted by lenima
    I do prefer that my child goes to school as close to home as possible...but if I cannot find schools in Ma On Shan, then I am willing to try schools in Shatin, or elsewhere in NT or Kowloon side. I don't mind whether she goes to an all-girl or co-ed school.

Rani thanks for the welcome and the link, I read it and it was informative! Gives me a start at least. It really is kind of weird the way the EMB pits schools against each other in such destructive competition, to attract students or be closed down. Not healthy or constructive at all.

I think I will look seriously at DSS schools but if anyone hears of any purely local public schools which manage to "do well" (student number, academics) while ALSO staying open and innovative in terms of teaching creatively and with sincere feelings for the students...I would love to hear about them, just to know how much scope public schools really have for being student-centered yet still "successful" in EMB terms.

kiwimango_88 is offline Registered User

school band

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone had any information as to which schools belong to which band? is there a website that lists which are the best local primary schools. My daughter is 5 this september and i want to send her to a local kindergarten close to a good local primary school

thanks

MM

HKside is offline Registered User

I don't think there is such a banding list in HK. I do see a list of schools for expats, mostly international schools. You may try to look into one local kindie in North Point, Kiangsu & Chekiang Primary School. Mandarin is used with English second.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast