Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Montessori materials

run4fun is offline Registered User
    Practical Advise on buying Montessori Material

I am a certified Montessori teacher, and I could share with you some insights regarding getting montessori material in HK. Before you buy anything, here is the a "must-visit" website: http://www.nienhuis.com/www_en_homepage.htm Nienhuis is probably the most well known company in the world for Montessori Material. Before you buy, you should first visit this site, so you will have an idea of how the actual product look like. Many of the products we find out there are modified by the manufacturer.
    Here are the places that I know: (There could be more out there, and I will keep seraching!)

(1) Montessori HK (as mentioned by Rani above) Montessori HK sells Korean made Montessori materials. Quality could almost be leveled to those in Europe. Market Position: Very high end for both quality and price. Besides the traditional materials, they also sells electronic materials. Please note that you COULD say that those electronic materials have adapted some Montessori teaching methods, but you cannot lable them as Montessori materials. I have a good friend who works in this company should you need more information.

(2) Little Montessorian - Actually this is the outlet in UNY that Ms. Alice Kwong mentioned in previously. They are a newly start up compnay, so they only have very limited products (like less than 15 items) for now. But they told me that more products are on the way. Materials are made in China. Acceptable quality. Very reasonably priced. For some of their products, they made modifications. Here is their website: http://www.littlemontessorian.com/contact.htm

(3) Infinity Children. http://infinitychildren.com/contactus.aspx This is one of the centers where I teach. They have very reasonbly price and good quality materials. The materials they ordered are genuine and have not been modified. The only thing is they ordered in batch. They will gather the orders to place a group order. It could take up to several weeks even a month to receive your items. This is not the palce to order if you need the materials urgently.
    Last edited by run4fun; 10-27-2006 at 02:21 AM.

run4fun is offline Registered User
    Dear Isaac Mom,

You are so correct. Montessori is about changing our own mentality and use our heart to be with the children. Children in Montessori classroom says, "Help me to help myself"! In the modern world, we buy children expensive educational materials and think that we have done our share. But we need to think if we have truly done our share? Have we helped them to help themselves? Have we been patient? Have we been postivie and encouraging that motivate the children's interest to learn more on their own?

I have seen numerous successful cases with the Montessori method. We have kids at our center that speaks and write 3 languages fluently. Many of our kids are very strong in language, math and science. One of the 6-year old boy that I taught could read chapter books like Junie B and Nate the Great. A K1 kid in our center is reading level 6 Oxford reading tree books. A 5 1/2, a kid in our center could tell you more details than you could image about the water cycle and our planet system. A K3 kid could do more than 6 digit addition and subtraction with carrying over.

Wish your friend the best of luck. If she reads Chinese, you might want to forward her this link. It has lots of good articles on Montessori teaching method. http://infinitychildren.com/viewpoint.aspx

Hope it helps.

beetle888 is offline Registered User

Question Montessori sets/kits available in HK? Montessori at home.

I am interested in spending time with my child at home and exploring basic elements of the Montessori method with him. He is 2 and will attend a preschool beginning in January which incorporates some of the methods but is not a "Montessori school" as such. My intention is not to do any formal home-schooling but to apply some of the Montessori concepts in my free time and to schedule a small amount of time most days to do so.

I have a few questions for sharing:

1. MONTESSORI KITS/SETS: I am interested in purchasing a set of montessori materials, particularly those non-paper products which cannot be downloaded from free Montessori/home-schooling sites, containing some of the basic sensorial, math, language, geography, etc. materials. I have seen kits in US websites. Are "kits" or sets available in HK? (I will email a few of the sites previously mentioned in this tread to check on prices for sets as well.) Also, since they tend to be a bit costly, is there a second hand market for these materials?

2. MONTESSORI AT HOME: I would also be interested in getting in touch with others in HK who may also be working with their children at home using the Montessori method - either in a formal home school setting or who casually utilize the materials on an ad hoc basis with their child. I would appreciate any references to resources, groups, websites, ideas, etc.

3. Where (and what) is "UNY" in HK please? I understand it is a retail shop which sells Montessori materials as well?

Thank you for sharing!

virgobb is offline Registered User
    I just went to UNY today and the little montessori products are still onsale. UNY department store - G/F Cityplaza, Taikoo Shing.
    I have not bought anything since my bb is too small to play (for 18mth+).

Gabriel ma is offline Registered User
    :yeah2 Is anyone know whether the SA CATHERINE BOOTH NURSERY SCHOOL is using the Montessori. All the SA Nursery schools say they are using Montessori approach but I am not sure how far they follow the teaching method?

mmec is offline Registered User
    There is a series of learning materials by Little Montessorians that are designed for home-use. They are available at several Japanese department shops (Sogo), book shops and an education center, Montessori Methods Education Center at 2566-3557/email: [email protected].

mmec is offline Registered User
    For your information, Montessori Methods Education Center also offers parent workshops to learn how to use the set of materials, but I do not have their schedule on-hand. You may call them to check if interested.

fishy is offline Banned
    I recently bought some classic professional montessori material for my son. Check out this site. www.montessori123.multiply.com
    I'm very satisfied with their quality and price. And my son loves the material too!!! He especially like the brown stairs and the cylindar blocks. I think I'll buy some more from them again soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12