Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

solids quantity

bbc mom is offline Registered User

solids quantity

I was wondering how much solids I should be feeding my 6.5 month old.

He started solids at 6months and I currently give him rice cereal (5grams mixed with 35ml water - the suggested serving of 20grams seems quite large) and vegetable purees (2-3 ice cubes).

Surprisingly he doesn't like fruits (apples, bananas) - any suggestions on how I can encourage him to eat them.

Also when should I introduce meat?

I am also still breastfeeding upon demand and the number of feeds has not reduced.

Thanks.

jools is offline Registered User
    Hi bbcmom,

When I introduced solids to my two, I took all the guess work of it and used Annabel Karmel's Baby and Toddler cookbook to the letter. It tells you when to introduce meat and the recipes are very tasty. If your baby doesn't eat fruit straight away leave it for a while and reintroduce later. I also found one fruit that my son liked (which was pear) and added to everything including broccoli and he just gobbled it up.

Don't worry about your breastfeeding decreasing yet, the amount of solids your baby is taking and it's overall nutritional value compared to your milk is not great. As they increase the amount they eat, your milk feeds will alter accordingly.

I hope that helps

Jools

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    im breastfeeding before solids... my baby is 6.5mnths. I'm feeding 3 meals per day and she is eating lots!! she eats 120ml of combined rice cereal + 1/3 banana + 1 cube apple for breakfast, and for lunch and dinner she eats 4-5 ice cubes of mixed veg and potatoe. last night she even wanted more after that, so i gave her around 100ml of cereal..

i worry that she may not be getting enough b/milk, yet i already am feeding before the solid part. she's also getting really fussy on the breast sometimes which i'm not sure if it is teething, or she's not getting any milk (coz when we feed her a bottle of expressed milk at night, she doesn't fuss)

has anyone had this experience as well?

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    I was much more slap-dash.

We made congee or plain rice cereal (Gerber, no sugar added - doesn't seem to be on the market any more). We would offer it to our babies (now 8 & 10) and feed them until they indicated they didn't want any more. Sometimes they would finish a whole small bowl, other times after a few bites, they lost interest.

We introduced meat... in the congee I think, sometimes mince, other times added the disgusting smelling Gerber puree chicken or puree beef to the congee, sometimes separate.

BBC Mom, if he doesn't like fruits right now, just ignore it and try again in a few weeks or months. Maybe he doesn't care for the texture or something. Vegetable puree is fine if you are worried about getting him the vitamins and so forth. My son (now 8 yrs old) still doesn't care for fruits as much as his sister. It's easier to get him to eat spinach and bok choi jai than it is to get him to eat apples. He does like longnan and laichee and mangoes...

I think we fed the babies their milk before their solid meals.

Mamalicious,
    I'd say keep feeding her milk and if she fusses and wants more solids, give them to her.

Don't worry too much about grams of this and that, feed her food that you know is healthy and if she wants more - give it. Maybe one morning she might want 1/2 a banana instead of 1/3, no worries. Maybe the next day she's bored w/ the banana and only eats 1/4 of it and instead is interested in pureed carrots...

Maybe some evening she wants a bit of cereal - give it & don't fret about it (it's not rat poison). If it becomes a regular thing after a few days, give her more potatoes & veggies at supper- or maybe see if she wants something else.

Both of you:
    It will be fine. Maybe hide your measuring cups and scales for a while & just go by what your babies seems to be interested in eating. :) It may reduce your anxiousness.
    Last edited by loupou; 03-16-2006 at 10:03 AM.

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    thanks for the tips an advice!!! will put into action!

bbc mom is offline Registered User
    Thanks to all for the above posts. I guess I shouldn't be too concerned about quantities yet as long as I'm still breastfeeding and the little one is gaining weight.

Mammalicious - regarding fussiness at the breast I have experienced something similar.
    As he's gotten older I've noticed he spends less time at the breast (5mins) then starts to bite and pull at the nipple as though in frustration that no milk is coming through. I will then let him feed at the other breast.
    Again I'm not sure if this is related to his teething, or whether he has forgotton how to suck properly or if he's become more efficient at getting the milk since the breast feels quite empty after his feed. I do worry he is not getting the hindmilk. However as long as he is gaining weight and seems happy and alert I don't think we should worry too much.