Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

afternoon naps

kara23 is offline Registered User
    My 1 yr old too is waking up very early! Sometimes he is up at 430am and thinks it's time to play. I will just sit with him quietly and if i am lucky,he might fall asleep at 530am or 6am. He goes to sleep at 8pm everynight after a bath and a bottle, and he seldom fusses. But the problem is in the middle of the night when he wakes and is unable to go back to sleep by himself. He will scream and scream, sometimes for over an hour before he exhausts himself (and myself) I try not to rock him to sleep but sometimes I really don't want him screaming at night and waking everyone else esp his 6 yr old bro who has school in the morning. He has 1-2 naps in the day, i find that when he doesn't sleep well during the day, he won't sleep well at night. Anyone experiencing the same problem? Any advice to share?

nanzbier is offline Registered User
    I have been following this baby board on Baby Center....it has helped me tremendously....

http://www.babycenter.com/boards/bcuschildsleep

babyboom is offline Registered User
    this is really a handful problem!its hard to get a child to nap if he refuses to.my aunt has a wild time putting her baby boy to sleep and the moment he touches the crib, he opens his eyes wide and cries.i think there is something about afternoon naps that kids dnt like... i wonder what!

kellyst is offline Registered User
    nanzbier,
    i had the exact same problem, actually just 5 minutes ago. my child just would not let me put her down for her afternoon naps. yeah, either daddy, grandma or the helper she'd comply, just not me. i put her down at night perfectly fine, doesn't even has to be rocked. i think it's a routine thing, coz the helper usually takes her on weekdays afternoon while i'm at work. anyways, glad to hear i'm not alone!

eplo19 is offline Registered User
    a good rule of thumb is to try to put her down for her nap, approx 2 hours after she's awake.. =) hoep this helps

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Kellyst, you haven't mentioned how old your baby is. I assume more than one year old, since you imply she is only having one nap in the afternoon.

We do similar to what we do at nighttime only shorter. A dark room certainly helps. Attachment to a "lovey" that they associate with sleep time is good too. A story if they are of appropriate age. Cuddling, etc. Also tell your child what is coming next at each stage so that she knows sleep will follow.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    my baby is 11mths now. she has 2-3 naps during the day. one late morning and one late afternoon. but it's all so inconsistent. the naps starts from anywhere between 11-12 and last for 30-60 minutes. and sometimes another nap at 3-4 (short one again) and then another one at 6-7. thing is i can't even tell you what the schedule is coz it's all over the place. AND check this out, it has gotten so bad now that the helper HOLDS here throughout her sleep. (i can see your jaws dropping...)
    anyways, i'm not around during weekdays for it, so it's really hard to control, they don't want her to cry, and they would rather have her sleep and be jolly and easier to handle, than to have her not sleep and be cranky all day. which i also understand.
    and on the weekend, me putting her down for naps is absolutely OUT Of the QUESTION now. so it's still a sucky situation. night time put down continues to be perfectly fine.
    i still think the key is consistency, which is almost impossible to dictate with me working. on the other hand, if i do stop work.. do you think i can still train her for the routine starting 1-1.5 y.o.?

Poppy is offline Registered User
    It is never too late to start a routine.

Babies/toddlers/children thrive on routine. As they get older, all that happens is it takes a little bit longer for the routine to set in - although 11 months is still a baby so will just take a few days - As long as you are consistent! You need to be very firm to your helper about it, consistency really is key - and it will make your little one so much happier in the long run - and your weekends will be stress free - it is so worth it!

I really recommend the book Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg - we found it very adaptable but the main principles worked wonders for us. She explains how you can tell your baby is ready for a nap :) So does Gina Ford - but she is much more strict - that book just scared the willies out of me so threw it away lol

Good luck :bighug

Poppy

xx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast