Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Birthmark

jessieywl is offline Registered User

Birthmark

My baby has a fairly big birthmark on her forehead. Wondering if there're any mums who can share their experience of taking their child to get treated by laser.

rads is offline Banned

My son had a very large red birthmark at the nape of his neck...it's what's called a strawberry birthmark...I was told it would go away by the time he was 3....he's 2 now and it's gone.....

Not sure how old your baby is & what type of birthmark your baby has....

Hi Rads, my baby has a Port Wine Stain which will not go away on its own. She's only 5 weeks old now. Looked at some information on the internet (some Japanese and American websites) and it said infants as young as a few months can be treated by laser. But we have been told by the pediatricians at Queen Mary and also a private hospital that infants should not be treated before one year of age. Of course we're not going to get her treated any time soon. Perhaps before she starts going to school. We just wonder if we should get her treated somewhere else if Hong Kong is not as developed in laser surgery as other countries.

happymebaby is offline Registered User

Hi jessieywl, my baby has port wine stain as well, my baby was born in London and I was told there that it's best to start the treatment when he's 6-8 months, he's 7 months now and he's first treatment is in March. I've heard recently that they do this treatment in HK and I was wondering if and where your baby had it done.....I much prefer him to be treated here as we don't need to fly back and forth which can get be abit too much for a baby! Thanks

Oh it took me 4 years to see your message...sorry!
    Our daughter has got 5 laser treatments with Dr. Henry Chan in Central. The results are good. She may need 1 to 2 more treatments. Hope your son has had good results with his treatments too.

ychia76 is offline Registered User

I am not sure if my 3 year old has the same thing on her face. The pedi said those are her fine capillaries closer to the top derm layer of the skin? It looked like she has a rash or sun burn and when she gets upset it shows up even more.

Scroll to top