Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

when to first feed meat to baby

mammalicious is offline Registered User

when to first feed meat to baby

i'm getting conflicting information on when is the best time to start feeding meat to my baby. i'v already got a small selection of veggie going, and a couple of fruits. however, i'm worried about iron and protein in her diet. some books have chicken and fish recipes for 6months old baby (annabel karmel) and others say wait until end of the 1st year.

any advice? also any advice on which meats to feed first?

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Protein foods (mashed tender cuts of meat, etc.) come early in the list of foods to introduce once your baby has started solids. This is not so much for the iron content but rather because of their high calorie value.

Television commercials will have you believe your baby needs solids for the iron supplement. However, your milk has iron in it, and while in small quantities, it's very easily absorbed. Breastfed babies rarely become anaemic.

Most early solid food given to babies has a very low calorie content. Often the baby has to eat a lot for only a few calories. Meat and other high protein foods are much denser foods and so the baby has to eat less for more calories.

Low fat and high fibre diets are not recommended for babies because the baby can get full without getting enough nutrients and calories.

Best wishes,
    Barb

fantastic info Barb... thanks for that. then i can feel confident feeding her the chicken puree i made.

i have been told however that beef should be held off until nearer to 1 year old?
    thanks!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    The American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Nutrition, says that the order in which foods are added to your baby's diet is not that important as long as baby's breast milk intake is adequate. (This is, of course, for babies starting solids at around 6 months or later - babies starting solids earlier are much more prone to food allergies.)

Cereal is not at all necessary, particularly the baby cereals. Regular (whole grain) oatmeal is more nutritious for your baby. Many doctors recommend iron-fortified rice cereal as baby's first food because it is less likely to cause an allergic reaction.

Generally it is proteins which babies have problems with allergies. This might be the reason that you have been told to delay beef, although I’ve never heard of this.

This is the list of foods to be careful about and the suggested age to introduce them if your baby is likely to be allergic (usually this means that there are others in the family with allergy problems)

0-6 months
    NO solids (this includes cereal) or juices
    9-12 months
    Wheat
    Oranges and other citrus
    Cheese
    Yogurt
    Soy
    Peas and other legumes (except peanuts)
    Egg yolk
    Corn
    12 - 18 months
    Cow's milk (including cottage cheese, ice cream)
    Pork
    Tomatoes
    18 - 24 months
    Egg whites
    Berries
    2 years
    Chocolate
    2-3 years
    Fish & seafood
    Nuts (except peanuts)
    3 years
    Peanuts

LLL suggests this progression when introducing your baby (6 months or older) to solid foods:
    • Ripe banana, avocado, yam, or sweet potato (sweet like breast milk)
    • Meats
    • Whole-grain breads and cereals (rather than baby cereals)
    [wheat and corn are usually delayed until baby is 9-12 months old]
    • Fresh fruits
    [citrus fruits are usually delayed until baby is 9-12 months old]
    • Vegetables
    • Dairy products after 9 months
    [cow's milk is usually delayed until baby is 12-18 months old]

There is a nice article from Leaven (a publication for LLL leaders) which explains why meat is a good early choice for babies starting solids, Introducing Complementary Foods, http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...Jan00p130.html

Hope this helps,
    SARAH

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    This web site explains about sensitivity to cow's milk proteins in allergic babies, http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...nsitivity.html

“A significant percentage of babies with cow's milk protein allergy will also react to soy. Most dairy-allergic babies will also react to goat's milk or sheep’s milk. Some will also react to beef.”

If your baby is likely to be allergic to cow’s milk protein it might be best to delay not just cow’s milk but also soy milk, other dairy products and beef.

Best wishes,
    Barb

thank you Sarah and Barb

one more thing. how do i know if my baby is getting enough b/milk? i am already feeding her the breast first before solids. but she seems to love solids so much she wants a lot of it (even after the breastfeed)

i'm still feeding her 5 b/feeds per day. but as you know cannot measure how much she takes except the last feed which is expressed milk of 180ml

thanks agn

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    It takes between 4 to 6 weeks to establish your milk supply. Before that it is advised to protect your supply by breastfeeding directly as often as possible.

After your milk supply is established it is actually really quite hard to loose it. One research article I read said it took an average of 42 days after you stop breastfeeding to loose all your milk. 42 days is 6 weeks!

If you are continuing to offer your baby the breast and she is happy to keep feeding the introduction of solids will not affect your supply, especially the introduction of solids at around six months.

Please don’t worry about the amount of milk your baby is getting. Just relax and feed her both breast milk and the solids and she will be fine.

Remember also that as the amount of milk your baby drinks decreases the amount of immune factors in the milk will concentrate so that the baby is still protected. This is true even if your baby is only having one breastfeed once every week or two. In other words as long as you are breastfeeding your baby is getting the benefit of being a breastfed baby.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

lynn cheung is offline Registered User

How to wean a toddler

I have some questions for you, Sarah:

I b/f my 29 months old son first thing in the morning, in the morning when he wants it, before and after nap (sometimes once during), after bath, before sleep at night, and night time as he still asks for it a few times at night. I don't offer the breast, but give it when he asks for it.
    I give him 1 cheese stick in the morning and 1 tub of yogurt (small) in the afternoon.

1. I'd like to wean him after he's 2.5 years but don't know how to do it. Any toddler-friendly weaning methods?

2. If I wean him, what should I give him as calcium sources and how much?

Thanks, Sarah.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast