Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

baby yogurt

mambo is offline Registered User

baby yogurt

I've been giving my baby ready made baby yogurt off the shelf in the supermarkets. (It can get quite costly) Is it not just another marketing scheme aimed at new parents? I'm just wondering what everyone else uses for yogurt. Can I just buy regular plain yogurt and add fruit? If so, what brand of yogurt do you use? I've read somewhere that it has to be 'high fat' yogurt and most of the ones I've seen are skim/low fat. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by mambo; 03-21-2006 at 05:08 PM.

Shirley is offline Registered User

Hi mambo
    I used either plain yoghurt or Greek's yoghurt to mix with fruit. Greek yoghurt is a lot more expensive but you can get about 2-3 feeds in each container depending on how much your baby eats. I get them from City Super. You can get plain yoghurt from Park'n'Shop or Wellcome (a bit cheaper than City Super). The ones that are ready made still have sugar in them and not so good.

Hope that helps.

rani is offline Administrator

Mambo you can make your own at home. Its very easy. All you need is a tablespoon of natural yoghurt and warm milk.

If your family enjoys yoghurt you can invest in a Yoghurt maker.
    Healthy delight sell the Easiyo maker.

http://www.healthydelight.net/shop/i...3ffb865c64afd4

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

mambo is offline Registered User

making yogurt

I recall an ex-colleague of mine saying that she makes her own yogurt at home too. So plain yogurt and warm milk...what do you do with it? How long does it last for? Sorry, this is new to me. Your advice is appreciated. Thanks

Rohini is offline Registered User

Hi Mambo, I just used plain yogurt (from wellcome) and added purred fruits to it. My son has been eating yogurt since he was 7 months and still has it everyday. I prefer the store bought yogurt as sometimes the homemade one doesn't settle.

rani is offline Administrator

Here's the recipe. In the summer the yoghurt sets within a few hrs. We normally make it at night and leave it in a warm place like the oven to set.

Boil half a litre of whole milk, then leave it on the counter to cool a bit. I do the finger test, milk should be warm but not scalding. In a small pyrex dish*, mix 1 1/2 tablespoons of natural yoghurt, I also add a little bit of sugar to the culture. Slowly add the warm milk to the culture and mix so that the yoghurt is evenly distributed. Cover the dish and leave it in the oven to set overnight. In the summer you can even leave it in the microwave.

Once its set put in the fridge. Before serving, remove a couple of tablespoons as a culture for next time.

*or stainless steel container

Last edited by rani; 03-24-2006 at 11:04 AM.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

shenevski is offline Registered User

Wink lactobacillus bulgaricus

If you can find a bulgarian yoghurt, keep a small amount of it and make your own yoghurt - the lacto bacteria (lactobacillus bulgaricus) is essential to turning the milk into yoghurt.

nanzbier is offline Registered User

Hello Rani,

I'm thinking of purchasing the Easiyo yogurt maker. Do you know which yogurt sachets I can buy for my 8 month old? How do you like your Easiyo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast