Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Chickenpox Vaccine

lima1971 is offline Registered User

Chickenpox Vaccine

Im just wondering who has had their child vaccinated against chickenpox? We are from the UK where this vaccine is not given to children but our paediatrician said it is available here if we decide to get out toddler vaccinated. Any thoughts?

momo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I chose not to vaccinate my children for chickenpox because I feel they are already receiving so many vaccinations. My 4 year old and 2 year old are currently having chickenpox and it is very mild, for my 4 year old he has no more than 20 spots on his body and for my 2 year old only 3 spots.

loraine is offline Registered User
    Mid levels
    I had my son immunized when he was 2 years old as I remember having the illness as a child - it was so itchy and if you picked the scabs they scarred.

hkgirl is offline Registered User
    We just had our one year old daughter vaccinated against chicken pox (we are from Canada) and I highly recommend it. Not only does it protect against chicken pox as a child and adult, but it protects against shingles which is a very painful and debilitating illness that often plagues seniors. My grandmother has been in pain and house ridden for one year because of shingles and it's wonderful to know my daughter will never experience that suffering.

Happy Immunizing!

rani is offline Administrator
    Pokfulam, Hong Kong
    D got the shot at 2 as well. It was going around at the time and I was afraid his cousin may bring it home from school. His Dr said that even with the shot there is a 10% chance he may get it but it would be milder. Early this year, quite a few kids we know at D's kindergarten had it. Got me thinking, and I was afraid I may had made a mistake to get him vaccinated. Did a bit more research on the net and found this article on Baby Center which convinced me it was the right decision.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    New Territories
    I was still trying to make up my mind about it when both my kids got it in 1999.

So, it was decided for me.