Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pregnancy Pilates?

China Doll is offline Registered User

Pregnancy Pilates?

Hi!
    Does anyone know about any courses for mums-to-be. I've got a really bad lower back and am hoping that a bit of Pilates will help.

I know the YWCA has some courses but are they available at the moment?

Please help!

mamamei is offline Registered User
    I don't have any experience with pilates, but I know that Yoga Central has a prenatal yoga class on Friday lunchtimes that does wonders for lower back pain. You can check out their website: www.yogacentral.com.hk

carang is offline Registered User
    Yoga Limbs also does a friday ante-natal yoga class in sheung wan...they may even have a class at their new location in clearwater bay...

www.yogalimbs.com

Bets is offline Registered User
    I've been attending the ante-natal yoga classes at yogalimbs for a few weeks and am enjoying it. Wednesday and Fridays at 11:00 in Sheung Wan. The Friday classes are pretty small, usually about 3-4 students, so you'll get plenty of personal attention from the teacher.

The YWCA pilates class starts up again in May (summer session). I'll send a note as soon as I receive the summer course book.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    As a fellow sufferer, I have found that pilates and yoga are good to tone up the surrounding muscles and maintain flexibility BUT you need to get some professional medical help as well, otherwise exercise might aggrevate the pain, especially if you are trying something new. I have had quite debilitating sacroiliac joint pain (where the spine meets the pelvis) and the difference after treatment from a chiropractor has been amazing; before that, I had got to the stage where I wasn't capable of any kind of exercise except swimming.

I have been doing yoga and pilates and I have found that prenatal yoga in particular made things worse because I have found instructors (trying to be helpful) have encouraged me to stretch into positions that make my pain worse afterwards. I think yoga would be great as a preventative measure, and individual stretches might be comforting, but a general class might not be the best thing for you, if you're not experienced in yoga before. IMHO pilates might be better (at least the classes I have been going to, in Discovery Bay) but best of all is to get a private instructor in either pilates or yoga, if you can afford it, who can properly focus on your particular problem. And get medical help too!

hkgirl is offline Registered User
    I do Windsor Pilates every day and as long as it is before your 4th month normal Pilates should be fine for you. After that you are not supposed to lay flat on your back as it isn't good for the baby. Never do any exercises that are painful and follow the modified routine (usually present on most videos) to avoid straining. I too have a very painful lower back and if I don't do Pilates everyday I can hardly move in the morning. I'm not sure of classes here, but you can order videos online from Amazon.com (they ship to HK) or other online companies.

I think it's a great exercise and recommend it highly. My abs are in better shape now then they were before my first baby!

JennyB is offline Registered User
    hkgirl, are you sure about lying flat on the back (even for short periods) not being good for the baby? I have worked with a number of prenatal exercise instructors during my two pregnancies and they have all said that lying on the back is fine for short periods unless you feel any discomfort, which some women do much earlier than others and some women never feel any discomfort. I am over 6 months pregnant and hope to continue to enjoy prenatal pilates for some time yet. We don't lie on our backs for more than a few minutes at a time - the class is designed so that the lying down exercises are scattered throughout the class.

I agree it's a great exercise, and when my back pain has been bad then the only way I could get from sitting to standing has been by really drawing in my belly button and pelvic floor pilates style. Was just saying it's not a substitute for medical attention, and if your back condition is really bad then it could aggrevate it.

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by hkgirl
    I'm not sure of classes here, but you can order videos online from Amazon.com (they ship to HK) or other online companies.

We sell fitness DVDs on ShopinHK

http://www.shopinhk.com/home.php?cat=62
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast