Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Irritated Nipples

mamamei is offline Registered User

Irritated Nipples

I know that breasts are supposed to change as soon as we get pregnant, but the outer edge of my nipples have not stopped itching! There doesn't seem to be any physical signs of irritation and it is not enough to make me scratch; but it is everpresent and uncomfortable. Is this normal? And is there any way to ease the discomfort? I have tried extra moisturizing but that does not seem to help...

JennyB is offline Registered User

I remember the same thing in my first pregnancy (seems OK for the second so far) and I was maddened by my inability to find maternity bras in my size which did not have seams or lace going near the nipple. You might find one of the sports-style bras best. Make sure they are plain cotton near the nipple, and not too tight, hand washed in very mild detergent. You might want to go topless at home if clothes are irritating them. Lots of people's skin gets more sensitive in pregnancy all over, and nipples are just the tip of the iceberg, so I'm sure it's perfectly normal!

cinnamon is offline Registered User

I experienced the same maddening itch.
    How discrete can you be with your hand down your bra scratching away?!!!
    I also developed a sort of rash on my nipple as well.
    My doc prescribed some hydro cortisone that did nothing for it.
    I used some lansinoh on it, worked a couple of times.
    Sorry not much help... but it did finally go away after the baby... maybe it was just that the feeling was replaced by sore nipples from breast feeding!
    wonder if its the oxytocin?
    I experience very itchy breasts and and nipples early on when I started breast feeding as well. I read that this is caused by the oxytocin

Haha cinnamon, your post made me smile! So many times I have had to close the door to my office to "take an important call"...

I have been avoiding soap on my nipples and cleaning with Cetaphil instead -- this has helped a little, as has the warmer, more humid weather. I will be glad when it completely goes away after the baby though!

punkypower99 is offline Registered User

Make it stop itching

HI - I have been searching the net looking for info on itchy nipples and breasts and this is about all I have found. To start off my 2nd trimester last week I woke up with a small rash in patches around my belly and on the top of my breasts. I have tried a variety of homeopathic remedies, nothing seems to really work. The rash itself is going away, but the itching is increasing. Here I am a week later and My breasts and nipples itch like crazy and are so sensitive. I am trying the natural "cortisone-like" cream, but I don't know if it's working. I will try cool washcloths and thought about doing the oatmeal bath. Did all of your itching start in the 2nd trimester or later? I dont know if I can deal with this for 6 more months! Yikes!

My itching only started in the second trimester too, although I never got a rash, so yours sounds much more frustrating. Have you spoken to your doctor? Mine told me nothing I didn't know before -- that the itching was caused by hormonal changes and will pass eventually, so I think it's just a matter of trying to make ourselves as comfortable as possible until then.