Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Sleeping position during pregnancy

bbvv is offline Registered User

Sleeping position during pregnancy

I hear that after a certain number of weeks into pregnancy, sleeping on your back is not good for the baby as it might limit their oxygen. I'm almost 21 weeks pregnant and everytime I wake up I am always on my back. Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent sleeping on your back? I have used special pillows for my bump when I sleep on my side but I tend to toss quite a lot in bed.

Kimmi is offline Registered User
    once it got uncomfortable for me to sleep on my back. I always try to sleep on my left side with a ordinary pillow between my legs, Im still sleeping that way now at 30 weeks. I do tend to wake periodically to move over to the other side. But I cant do without the pillow and as you get bigger if you lay on your back it will automatically wake you up cause of the weight of the bub. You just have to find a way that is most comfy for you. There is different types of pillows that you can purchase to help.

bbvv is offline Registered User
    Thanks Kimmi, maybe my bump is not big enough yet for it to be uncomfortable to sleep on my back. Just have to wait for a few more week to see what happens.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    When you get a bit bigger, you may find it such an effort to turn over in bed that you may be happy to accept pillows that prevent you from rolling over!
    I have two wedge-shaped pillows (blue and white check pattern) that fasten together, got it from one of the baby shops in Windsor House in CWB, sorry can't help with the name of the shop but it has cots and prams in the window and is not Mothercare. Anyway one part goes in front of your bump and one behind your back which prevents you from rolling backwards.

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    i was really worried during my pregnancy of sleeping on my back, but when i asked my obgyne he said not to worry about it. i can sleep on my back but that once the bump gets really big, it will be too uncomfortable for me to be on my back and i will automatically sleep on my side. i wasn't sure if i should just accept that, but it was true in the end!! in the end, i just couldn't bear the weight and had to sleep on my left side, with a pillow inbetween my legs, and one behind me. by then, it was too uncomfortable for my husband to sleep next to me with all the pillows i had crammed around me!!!!!!

mamaS is offline Registered User
    Hi JennyB,

How much did you buy it? is it long enough to support the back? thanks.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Can't remember how much I paid for it - maybe 200 or 300? It is not very big, just a regular cushion size, maybe 12 inches square, two wedge-shaped cushions. Not designed to support the back but support the belly, and then another (attached) cushion behind your back to stop you rolling backwards.

mamaS is offline Registered User
    Thanks Jenny,

I'll check it out. This is what i'm looking for. The snoogle full body pillow for $700 at bumps to babes is very expensive.