Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Breast feeding =(

Wee Kean is offline Registered User

Cinnamon is right about having someone who has breastfed successfully that you would feel comfortable in asking help from.

I have a friend who has and still breastfeeding her 3 years old son (now only once at night time) She has been great in supporting/encouraging me. Yes, there are lots of advantages to breastfeed but there are lots of disadvantages for mothers as well! Please read about these and be prepared to face those disadvantages. But I guarantee you, it is worth it!

There were times that I wanted to give up breastfeeding and felt very angry with the comments of the people around me (family, friends and even strangers!!!) My friend will reassured me that I am doing right. Maggie from Lalechleague provided me with lots of information and encouragement. She is great!

My daughter is 17 months old now. I am still enjoying breastfeeding.....well, most of the time, even though there are times when I feel really tired, upset, angry, stressed....that's when I will call up Maggie or my friend to ask for support)

If you need someone to talk to, feel free to email me at [email protected].

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

The following site gives 101 reasons to breastfeed your baby, http://www.promom.org/101/

But as no one else has mentioned them I’d like to list some of the advantages for the mother’s health. Breastfeeding is often perceived as something we do because it is best for our babies but I’m a little more selfish than that I want to do because it is good for me too.

Mothers who breastfeed are less likely to have breast cancer
    Less anaemia in breastfeeding mothers
    Breastfeeding reduces the mother’s risk of developing osteoporosis in later years
    Breastfeeding mothers have reduced risk of rheumatoid arthritis
    Breastfeeding helps mothers to lose weight after birth
    Breastfeeding helps mothers space pregnancies
    Breastfeeding facilitates mother-baby bonding
    Breastfeeding is Economical
    Breastfeeding is environmentally cleaner
    Breastfeeding is the most intimate and shared nurturing we do with our young

Best wishes,
    Barb

rani is offline Administrator

Barb,

A recent episode of Desperate Houswives had a mom bfeeding a 5 year old. It was hilarious! She only continued breastfeeding cos it helped her maintain her ideal weight. By the end of the show the child preferred chocolate milk and was weaned. The poor mom was so upset cos she didn't want to go back to the gym and start working out.

Last edited by rani; 03-30-2006 at 11:42 PM.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

In reply to Sleuth’s question, Is it possible to switch from breastfeeding to bottle feeding when the baby is older? The answer is “yes”.

I would always be a little weary of anyone who says that something is definitely going to happen because the one thing I’ve learnt about babies is that all are different and it is not possible to predict the future.

I once knew of a mother with triplets. She managed to exclusively breastfeed them for three months but found that she had very little time for anything else. So she decided to introduce some bottles to ease her load. One of the babies refused to take a bottle and wanted to carry on breastfeeding, one of the babies was perfectly happy continuing to breastfeed and to take bottles too, and the last baby refused the breast and only wanted bottles from then on.

We recommend that you try to delay the introduction of bottles until you are feeling very confident with your breastfeeding. If you have had no problems this could be as early as 3 to 4 weeks but if you’ve had problems getting off to a good start it might be as late as 8 to 10 weeks. And, of course, there are some mothers who never give bottles at all but introduce the baby to a cup when she wants to add extra liquids.

But just like all breastfeeding problems there are solutions to be found if you want to switch to bottle feeding and the baby isn’t happy with the idea.

If you have any problems with breastfeeding please feel free to call one of the LLL Leaders,

Maggie 2817-7475
    Margarita 2257-6757
    Rochelle 2947-7147
    Sarah 2548-7636
    e-mail to: [email protected]

Best wishes,
    SARAH

spsmok is offline Registered User

Wow, that's a lot of positive feedback on bf. And I agree with all of them. Breastfeeding is the best thing for both the mother and baby. But I think one of the most important things is for the mother to be comfortable.

I started bf my baby at birth and within 2 weeks I had to introduce formula completely for 4 days. I was really worried my baby would prefer the bottle to the nipple. Luckily my baby was very adaptive and she was completely breastfed once again.

Then there's the problem with the qty and the time I needed to feed her. My husband has been supportive, but not quite in the way I expected. He just asked me to switch to formula so it's less tiring for me. In the end, I started adding formula in addition to bf. It certainly was not what I really wanted, but it was less stressful.

What I'm trying to say is, don't feel guilty for whatever you choose. The mother's mental health is just as important as the baby's health.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

A story like this last one really makes me feel sad. I don’t think a mother who turns to bottle feeding because she doesn’t have the confidence to continue should feel guilty. Rather I think she should feel angry that our society, and in particular our medical professionals, weren’t there to give her the support she needed at the time she needed it.

The time to talk to a lactation consultant or a La Leche League leader is at the moment you feel that lack of confidence. No baby ever came to any harm waiting an extra ten minutes for a bottle. But in those ten minutes if you are able to talk to a person who understands breastfeeding it can give you the confidence to know what to do. You need to talk to someone who will be able to explain that either you don’t have a problem and this is normal baby behaviour or that you do indeed have a problem and help you design the best solution for you and your baby.

If the person you turn to has only the solution of offering the bottle then you know that that person is not well informed about breastfeeding. For some problems offering a bottle may be a solution but it is never the only solution to a breastfeeding problem.

Please if you are considering breastfeeding find yourself someone knowledgeable about breastfeeding and normal infant behaviour to turn to when you begin to lose confidence. For me, that was one of the local LLL leaders. I liked that fact that she had successfully breastfed her own babies and so I knew she understood where my silly fears and questions were coming from.

Barb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12