Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breast feeding =(

robbiesmoma is offline Registered User

Breast feeding =(

Hello

I am going to have a baby boy soon and I am not sure if I should breast feed or use formula! I would like some more info! please help !
    Last edited by rani; 03-29-2006 at 06:08 PM.

Wee Kean is offline Registered User
    Congratulations!

Check this out:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/HongKong.html

Breastfeeding has lots of advantages. One of them is, I don't have to bring bottles/milk powder/hotwater, etc whenever I go out. Just bring myself :)

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Just took this class last weekend.
    Breastfeeding is better for the babies health, the diapers should have no smell, baby swallows less air so less burping, also less spitting up.
    Plus it is free and you don't have to warm it up.
    Formula comes from the period when doctors/scientists assumed they could out-perform nature.
    On the negative side, babies will feed less regularly, breastfeeding is natural, but not necessarily easy (otherwise all these lactation nurses would be out of jobs), I think I have read in this forum where this is frowned upon in HK.

hkgirl is offline Registered User
    Breast is Best! It can be painful at the beginning, but there is nothing more relaxing and convenient as breastfeeding your baby. You are already tired with a new baby, so it's much easier to just pick your baby up then prepare bottles etc. It will help your body return to normal more quickly, lower your risk of breast cancer, give baby so many health benefits including lower chance of obesity when he/she is older and helps you bond with baby so much closer than bottles (I think). There is no better way to way to help comfort your baby too.

My advice, breastfeed your little one. You won't regret it.

Sheila is offline Registered User
    Breastfeeding has huge health benefits for the baby. Breastfed babies have less gastrointestinal and respiratory tract infections than formula fed ones. Breastfed babies are at less risk of ear infections. Breastfed babies are at less risk of certain childhood cancers than formula fed ones. Breastfed babies are less likely to develop diabetes ... less likely to be obese. If you have a baby girl, she's less likely to get breast cancer when she grows up. Breastfed babies are less likely to get eczema or other allergies. Breastfeeding is good for the brain - studies show that breastfed babies score better on IQ tests later in life. The health benefits for your baby are HUGE.
    Breastfeeding is natural - and it can be easy and painfree. If you've heard lots of stories about sore nipples etc. - chances are the mother was using a bottle in the early days/ didn't get baby latched on well in the early days (and didn't get help to sort it out.
    It's very important to find out more about breastfeeding BEFORE your baby is born, so do try and attend one of the local breastfeeding support groups. There's one called La Leche League and another called HK Breastfeeding Mothers Association. The contact numbers are availlable withing the geobaby site.
    Best wishes
    Sheila

Sylvieng is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I'm a happily breastfeeding mum, even so my first 6 weeks have been quite painful. Breastfeeding is the most beautiful thing I'm living as a mother. When she nurse, I just feel so well and peaceful.

So of course I would advise you to breastfeed, for all the reasons given here and some more !

Wha ever you choose to do, just remember that if you begin with breastfeeding, you can always switch to formula if you don't like it, whereas the opposite is much more difficult.

Best wishes

cinnamon is offline Registered User
    Congrats!
    I hope that you do decide to breast feed.
    As everyone else has mentioned, it is best for baby and good for you too!
    Of course I say this cos I am having a good time breast feeding my daughter.
    But if you decide to bottle feed, for what ever reason,remember that many babies survive and thrive on formula too. So don't feel pressurised either way.

I think the most important thing with starting breastfeeding is to have really good support.
    Do you have someone who has breastfed successfully that you would feel comfortable in asking help from?
    Even if you are determined ,there will be moments when you are worried and unsure. Having someone who can support you and give you practical advise I think is important to successful breastfeeding.

One thing that I am sure most breastfeeding mothers will hear a lot of will be "do you think he is hungry? are you sure he's getting enough milk"

While its true that you cant tell how much the baby is getting each feed, you will be able to feel baby getting heavier and see that baby is filling out.

Remember as well that in the beginning babies do lose some weight. So dont feel pressurised to go to formula.

Another thing is that the more the baby sucks the more milk you make.
    So even if baby seems to be feeding all the time and is crying for more, let him suckle often and you should find that your body will adjust and produce more (make sure you eat well and rest as much as possible. I'm finding I need to eat more than I did when I was pregnant)
    It may take a couple of days.
    Hope thats not too much info!
    Good luck

Sleuth is offline Registered User

From breast to bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvieng
    Wha ever you choose to do, just remember that if you begin with breastfeeding, you can always switch to formula if you don't like it, whereas the opposite is much more difficult.
    Has anyone tried this switch? According to our lactation nurse, once babies find the "real thing" they do not like bottles. She recommended that if you are going to want to use formula from time to time that you give it to your baby every once in awhile during the first few weeks.
    And Cinnamon is right on with the more you nurse, the more you make. Has to do with hormones released in your body by the suckling.
    We were told in two different classes that you can judge whether your baby is getting enough by watching the arms. Arms up by the head means baby is empty, arms bent at 90 degrees and baby is half full, arms down by the side like they are drunk on milk and baby is full.
    One other thing the lactation nurse said was that breast feeding satisfies the babies need to suckle, so they are less likely to need the pacifier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast