Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Teething - what to do?

mummybee is offline Registered User
    Thanks, everybody! BBC, I have gotten the calgel equivalent (Bumps to Bebes run out of it) called Dentiton from Mannings. My baby prefers it much more to Bonjela - you are right, it is more gentle on the gums and not sting.

I have also bought Calpol. I am a tad worried about Calpol as it is not colour-free and my baby is allergic to certain additives. I simply don;'t understand why artificial colours are added to infant medication...not that they will see the pretty pink colour and open their mouth more readily! I bought another paracetamol-based medication called Disprol. These are soluble tabs with lime flavour. All all the paracetamol medication, I find Disprol easiest to take, and infant panadol having the foulest taste, even to me. No wonder my baby vomits each and every time I give her infant panadol.

Thanks, hunhun and histamin for chamomila. I realise it has more or less the same active ingredients as the Brauer's Teething Relief I am giving to my baby. Brauer's Teething Relief works nicely, though admittedly the relief wears off 1-2 hrs later. Incidentally, Health Quest on Wellington St has closed down. They only have the store in Times Square in case anyone reading this thread is interested in buying it. I have also tried Teetha, sold in Bumps to Babes but find it quite useless.

I do think I am getting with this teething business as the weeks go by. Last night I discovered a GREAT way to soothe my baby. Instead of cuddling her, I put her on my shoulder and rub her back. She is settled immediately and more importantly, falls asleep within 5 minutes, no kidding, and allows me to put her back down in her cot.

HKgirl, thanks heaps for assuring it is ok to "spoil" her. She is a much happier camper now that I am giving her the extra cuddles. I may be imagining things but she might have become "separation anxious" when we did the cry-it-out business last week. Totally paranoid when we put her down in her cot, previously her favourite place to be, and never wanted to leave my side during the day.

thanks again for all your advice. Crossing our fingers that her teething pain will pass very very soon..

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Mummybee, glad your baby is a little more settled. I remember those sleepless nights with my first child and am about to go through it all again with #2! So deepest sympathies. But I wonder whether it has occurred to you that the night wakings might not be related to teething pain after all, or at least may be a combination of teething with other factors?

Very few doctors believe that teething actually causes pain for babies. I have to say that none of my daughter's episodes of fussiness have seemed to conicide with teeth appearing. I think a lot of parents want to blame a multitude of ailments on teething because they can't find any other explanation for those ailments. At the age of 7 months there are other suspects: indigestion or intolerance of new foods being one possibility. Needing more calories in the night due to increasing calorie needs not being met in the daytime is another suspect, especially if milk feeds have been replaced by solids which are lower in calories. There is also the theory that babies are more unsettled when they are going through a developmental "leap", and this accords with my own experience.

Separation anxiety is also usually increasing at this age, and it sounds like you're doing the "right thing" by providing extra reassurance, which will hopefully calm her down eventually.
    Last edited by JennyB; 04-03-2006 at 12:12 AM.

mummybee is offline Registered User
    Hi JennyB,

I did initially think sth other than teething causes her to wake at night. But her loud screams followed by gnawing on her knuckles led me to believe teething is more likely the reason. My personal view is that different babies react differently to teething. Some, like yours, go through teething with no drama whilst others (mine and others in this forum) are obviously affected. Whatever the reason, my wish is that it goes away soon as my eyes are becoming panda-like due to lack of sleep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12