Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Teething - what to do?

mummybee is offline Registered User

Teething - what to do?

My baby (7 mths soon) who used to sleep fine when I put her down at 8.30pm has now started to wake up in 40mins intervals screaming in pain and gnawing on her knuckles. She has sprouted two bottom teeth 2 weeks ago. I ahve to nurse her to settle her each time she wakes, and with 5-6 wakings per night, I am totally sleep deprived and cranky to say the least.

Wonder if anyone out there who has gone through teething pain with their babies could give me suggestions as to (1) relieve pain and (2) make her wake up less at night. I am using Bonjela and Brauer's teething relief (homeopathic remedy). She absolutely hates Bonjela which is perfectly understandable as it stings and I have been told calgel is better as it doesn't sting. anyone using calgel and know where i can get it from? Bumps and babes run out of it. Also, both remedies i use provide temporary relief only. anything that lasts the whole night? I tried giving her infant panadol but she hates the taste so much she vomits every time i give it to her.

i am desperate and absolutely at my wit's end....

bbc mom is offline Registered User

Hi mummybee,

My 7 month old has also been teething for weeks now but still no teeth. I am fortunate that it does not bother him during the day, only night time.

I do use sugar free calgel - it has an instant effect if the pain is not too great. However it does numb the gum area so it may affect baby's ability to nurse afterwards, although my son has no problem with this. At most we have not needed to apply the gel more than twice per night.

For the really painful, loud, teary cries we use calpol which takes a little longer for him to stop crying but allows him to sleep longer. We've only ever used one dose a night and try not to use this too often 'cause not sure about any effects of long term usage.

Both are available at bumps to babes.
    Hope both our babies teeth come through quickly!

bbc mom is offline Registered User

Hi mummybee,

I've just seen your message on the other thread.

Ideally I would like not to pick him up, but in reality I always end up doing so since he can never settle himself back to sleep.
    If he is just fussing and not in great pain, I will wait a few mins before picking up and try to rock him back to sleep. If he continues to cry, I'll apply calgel.
    If he wakes suddenly with the loud piercing cry, I pick him up immediately and if he doesn't calm down, I will give him calpol.

There are different views on whether you can spoil a baby, but you just have to do what you are comfortable with. However I do find if I pick him up and/or apply calgel/calpol, everyone gets back to sleep sooner.

HKfornow is offline Registered User

When my son was teething we would put the teething ring (water filled type) in the freezer/fridge and then let him gnaw at it to numb the pain, I have also heard of moms using ice chips. If that did not soothe him, then I apply some orajel, which thankfully was not often. Hope this helps.

hkgirl is offline Registered User

Teething is very hard on baby and on mommy. While teething rings are very helpful as is any other safe, hard chewing object, the best way to relieve baby's pain is with an infant pain reliever. I use infant tylenol from Canada(do not give baby's aspirin or adult medications) , but I'm sure you can buy infant panadol or get a prescription from your doctor for paracetamol. It's the same stuff they give you for baby's if they have pain or fever after a vaccination shot. Make sure to follow instructions carefully.

My baby nursed more when she was teething and I think that the sucking can help (for other babies it makes them feel worse). After the tooth came through she went right back to normal feeding times, so I don't think it hurts to give a little extra comfort. They say that adults would not be able to stand the pain if we had to go through teething.

HKfornow recommend freezing a water teether, but they just recalled the water filled teethers in Canada because the water inside can have bacteria that your baby could swallow if it breaks. We had one and I stopped using it once I heard about that. It's better not to use them just in case.

saralee is offline Registered User

Hi mummybee. I find Calpol helps take the edge off the pain. Maybe you couold give your baby a dose just before 8.30pm and that might see you through a little longer.

hunhun is offline Registered User

For teething pain, I would highly recommend Camilia, a wonderful homeopathic medicine for 1 to 30 months old children. I got them in Canada, but I saw them being sold in the natural food shop at the top of Wellington Street in Central (sorry, forgot the name of the shop) and the big shop opposite "Great"(?! I am not a shop name person) on the basement of Lane Crawford in Times Sqaure, Causeway Bay. They comes in little 1ml tubes. Whenever my baby has bad teeting trouble, I would twist open a tube and he would gladly suck the tube's contents and smile again in relief, almost immediately.

CAILLOU

CASPER

Histamin is offline Registered User

Hi,
    I also agree with chamomila (same with camilia that hunhun said?),
    my daughter took some homeopathic remedies when she'd gotten teething, but we are helped by professional homeopathic doctor finally, she will prescribe some remedies for her teething, she had several compliments together with teething, I noticed she improved her health too when all her health problems has gone.
    You may buy teething tablets from pharmacy,
    in Health Quest (Times Square) or
    consult Homeopathic doctor Dr Rupal at IMI
    Hope it helps you
    Histamin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast