Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

feeding bottle

engee is offline Registered User

feeding bottle

My son is 20 months oldand wants the feeding bottole to drink his milk.He doesnt mind juice/water from a glass but not milk.
    The paed says to stop the bottole feeding by 1.5yrs.
    He needs to drink his milk before going to sleep whether afternoon or night ,from the bottole!

Any suggestions as how to wean him from the bottole?

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    Have you tried giving it to him in a cup with straw? It made my son feel grown up so the bottles were retired.

Hai

thanx ! But i tried that too ..he was irritated with sucking it up and i dono....he threw it away.

:-(

spsmok is offline Registered User
    I wonder what kind of problems there are with older babies using bottles to drink their milk. My daughter is 2 and she still drinks her milk from a bottle. I asked her if she wanted to use a cup, and she said no. So I just let her continue with it.

My friend's daughter kept drinking from the bottle before she went to sleep every night, and kept doing it until she was maybe 4 or 5. When some of her friends at school found out she's still drinking from the bottle, she was embarrassed to continue and she stopped.

u r right spmok i just dono wat the problem is.
    the doctors hate it.
    i tried the straw thing like hk said but this guy was so angry..
    thanx !

joannek is offline Registered User
    drinking from the bottle might let the milk stay in their mouth when they sleep. and bathing teeth in milk for a long period of time have prove to lead to tooth decay. that's why they say they should change to sippy cup by one yr old (cos they usually have teeth by 1-yr-old).

i personally think that drinking milk from the bottle before they sleep is a way the baby unwinds. & it's a form of comfort & security for them (at least for my little 13 mth old, it obviously is) my little one refused to drink anything else in the bottle since i introduced water at 6 mths (she's been breastfed until one-yr, but takes the BM in bottle sometimes). she only likes her milk in the bottle. anything else (water, diluted juice, etc) she wants from a cup (w/ a straw, she hates sippy cups). if i put milk in a cup, she looks at me funny. my ped said as long as i make sure that she swallows her milk after she's done & never fall asleep with the bottle she's fine. it's even better if i let her have a sip of water after the milk.

i think the thing about weaning from the bottle from 1-yr is because you see all these toddlers carrying their bttles around w/ milk, juice, etc in it, and keep sucking at it thru-out the say. which means that their little teeth are bathing in milk, juice whatever all day, which is why we should let them use a cup instead.

i think as long as you let them finish their milk in one go, and don't them carry it around w/ juice, it's fine.

Hey thanx Joanne that was really fruitful info.
    hmm...so i guess my dear gets his bottole afterall.
    But then,how often shud we change the bottole and the nipple?

rads is offline Banned

Unhappy

Hello engee & All,

My son is 25 months old and he HAS to have his MILK in his bottle..he never falls asleep drinking milk but will finish his milk then come and give me his bottle...

I've tried evrything from telling him there are no more bottles to trying to make him feel like a big boy who drinks from a cup/glass/sippy cup..all his other liquids he drinks from a cup/glass....

I don't know what to do....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast