Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

DTaP (5 in 1) vs Old DTP and Oral Polio

carmenlotusfeet is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

DTaP (5 in 1) vs Old DTP and Oral Polio

Hi there,

I have been taking my 8 week old baby to the Gov't clinics for her immunizations cause they are free. However, I have also been going to the baby clinic at the Matilda as well. She is due for her first shot of DTP next week. I just found out that at the Gov't clinics they use the old DTP and also oral Polio whilst at the Matilda they use the DTaP (acelluar), 5 in 1, polio injection and this supposedly has less side effects. Does anyone have any experiences or advise on this ? I'm thinking of going back to the Matilda for the jabs as not worth risking the side effects........

mulk is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    My daughter (nearly 6) only had the older version along with the oral polio vaccine as a baby. She didn't react badly to made her a bit tired. She might have had a low fever afterwards (not sure...the doctor always recommended Tylenol before her jabs). She recently had a booster. Her doctor now only has the 5 in 1 jab. She reacted worse to it this time (but still not bad...sore arm, fever---she was better the next day) although from research I've done, side effects are more likely at this age (not sure why).

I would do whichever you feel more comfortable with. I don't believe it makes that much difference, though.

Good luck.

bbc mom is offline Registered User
    New Territories
    My son had a combination of the 5-in-1 and 6-in-1 (includes hep B) jabs at 2,4 and 6 months.
    He had absolutely no side effects with the 5-in-1, but had mild fever after the 6-in-1 but was fine after just 1 dose of baby paracetamol. These were done by his private doctor and cost $450-$550 (GP based in New Territories so it may cost more over on HK side).