Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

no breakfast

engee is offline Registered User

no breakfast

hello there

I wanted some advice on what i shud do with my 21 month old son who refuses breakfast.
    i tried everything from egg,bread,bun with marmalade,honey,cheese,oats,sago with milk,fruits.....he just doesnt eat breakfast except some milk.he doesnt like icecream much or chocalates.

He gets really stubborn esp with me but to the lesser extent with his dad.he sucks his thumb and pulls at my hair(horrible) while he wants to sleep.

Sometimes i feel so stressed out to see him hungry and stubborn.

Any suggestions?
    Thanku so much for ur time!

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    have you tried cereals, dry or with milk? Started my son off with Cheerios, let him use fingers eat it dry then dunk in milk or yogurt. . . messy but he thought it a treat. Now he requests for cereal often.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    Yeah, we did dry cheerios & bits of cut up cheese. Also, when do you offer him breakfast? Some kids want to eat as soon as they get up, but other kids want to wait an hour or so.

One strategy would be to not give him any milk until he eats some food (if he's thirsty, let him have water).

Is it just "breakfast type" foods he doesnt like to eat? Does he eat lunch and dinner OK? If so, maybe give him the same food at breakfast. There's no law saying we can't have our "supper food" at breakfast (in my youth I ate a lot of left-over pizza for breaksfast :))

The other could be to give him some dry food(e.g. cheerios, crackers, etc.) and let him have about 15 miinutes to try and eat it, without you helping or even commenting one way or the other (maybe you read a newspaper and sip some tea and have a bit of toast while he has his stuff on offer). After the 15 minutes you say something along the lines of "Oh dear, I guess you're not hungry" and take all the food away.

Then in a couple of hours, offer something similar for "snacK" or lunch.

Maybe once he realizes that there is no exciting pay-off for "being stubborn" because you don't care if he eats his cheerios or not, it becomes less of a thing to care about.

I remember readiing somewhere (Penelope Leach) that it's important to try and separate "food as nutrition" from "food as social artifact (food=love; food=care, eating food=accpeting parents authority) then it's easier to deal w/ toddler peculiarities w/ food.

Thanx somuch for ur replies.Yes,i have tried cheerios as well.
    But like loupou says perhaps its the timing.i try to feed him by 8.30 am but lookslike he likes it a bit later than that.
    hmm..i willtry that way now.

He is very flatulent too inspite of all the running and walking he does.
    I am not sure what shud be done abt that.
    The garlic ginger recipe is an ancient one tried in my country but he wudn gulp that down.
    hmm......?!

MickeyMom is offline Registered User
    i have been told by my pedia that babies will not get hungry unless you deprive them of food. So the secret is really just making healthy food available and letting them have their own time to eat. They will when they start feeling hungry anyway.

PreciousBabe is offline Registered User
    its juz one of those phrases. that goes the same with my 20 months old son recently! previously he will juz eat food like bread/cakes/cereal/biscuits etc but guessed he juz got sicked of the same old things. so now recently he would have egg tarts, bread with hotdogs/ham & cheese/carrot cakes/cha siu bao for breakfast & teatime! & once a wk i would buy him hotcakes from MacDonald's which is one of his favourites! another trick is to leave the food on the table so that they can eat it when they want to.

Thanx so much for the comments guys!