Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Overdue

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Marta, which hospital are you talking about?
    I'm interested in whether it is a public hospital or not. As far as I know, at QMH you have to be strapped to the bed for monitoring after drugs are administered, and I assumed this is the practice at other public hospitals. It would be great if you can confirm I am wrong!

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    My first baby, I had latent labor for 3 days and then my OB agreed to induce me. The oxytocin made the contractions VERY strong and after a couple of hours I asked for and received an epidural.

My OB waited until my cervix was effaced and I was at least a little dilated before she gave me the oxytocin. She also broke my waters when she induced me.

I was completely strapped up w/ monitors and drips, but was able to get on all 4s (on the bed, leaning against pillows) to swing my hips and turn the baby from posterior presentation in the last hour or so before I was ready to push.

Towards the end, it began to wear off a little, but that was OK because I was able to feel the contractions better to push the baby out. My pushing stage lasted about 20 minutes. No problem.

This was at a private hospital.

My second baby was born in a public hospital, no induction, no epidural. My waters didn't break until I was pushing the baby out.

usfret is offline Registered User
    Thank you for all the advice - just want to let you all know that I delivered a healthy baby boy on April 9th. After three days of trying to induce and having no effect, the doctors decided to put me on drip. First I had my waters broken artificially and was then put on oxytocin. Labour lasted for around 11 hours and at the end of it all I had a fairly quick & normal delivery with the pushing stage lasting less then 45 minutes. The doctors & mid-wives were absolutely wonderful and I managed to pull through without any epidural or drugs. The only thing is I was strapped to the bed through the entire process but I guess I was mentally prepared for that, thanks to the advice from some of you guys, but the nurses were extremely supportive and would instruct me to breathe and relax.

Aprat from some discomfort as a result of the episiotomy I am perfectly fine and so is my lil bub.

:) THANK YOU!

rani is offline Administrator
    Congratulations Usfret!!!!
    :groupwave:
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

usfret is offline Registered User
    Thank you Rani :)

Roshna is offline Registered User
    wow! Good to hear! Congratulations!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12