Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Overdue

usfret is offline Registered User

Overdue

My doctor has scheduled me to be induced a week after my due date if labour does not commence before then. They did send me for a fetal heartbeat monitoring where I was informed that everything was normal. However I am not a doctor and even though I am not at all keen on being induced, at the same time I dont want to take any unneccesary risks. I am doing my check-ups at the QE and I trust the hospital authorities but my question is this, can I request them to wait for a couple of days more since, as they say, everything is normal? Also, should I go in for a private consultation/ultrasound scan just to put my mind at ease? Can anyone recommend a reliable private ob-gyn for consultation. I have not had a very good experience with private doctors perhaps because I wish to deliver at the public hospital. Also, if anyone has had an induction could you please share your experiences as I am very apprehensive.

thanks.

Roshna is offline Registered User
    i was five days overdue and both our doctor and my hubby and i decided on labor induction. previously, doctors would wait till 2 weeks overdue before advising induction but that wait has now gone down to 10 days according to two ob-gyns we spoke to. Also, there's a chance that baby will inhale meconium once baby's been in thre too long. We also did the fetal heart tracing every other day or so starting the 38th - 39th week. we were also stold everything normal but we opted not to wait too long.

we had a normal delivery - i was on oxytocin and i had an epidural once the contractions got more intense.

if you want a second opinion - go to Dr. Doo at the Women's Clinic in Central - 2523-3007. He will explain things very well to you.

hope this helps.

Hi Roshna,

Thank you so much for your reply. I feel much more at ease knowing that you went through the same experience AND had a normal delivery. I was kinda afraid that I might end up with a C-Sec. Were you able to be mobile during the labour?Ideally I would like to be able to move around and choose a more upright postion during the labour but I guesss if I am on drip I don't really have a choice.

But thanks again. You have no idea how much you reply has helped me. I was dreading that impending induction date :)

bbc mom is offline Registered User
    I was also overdue by 5 days according to ultrasound dates (though I reckon I could have been 7-10 days overdue based on conception dates).

Although I was disappointed that my baby couldn't choose his own birthday, it was a relief to be induced and finally see the little one after weeks of endless waiting. I also agree with Roshna about the risks of letting the baby stay in too long. In my case I got the bloody show but still no contractions 4 days later so I was starting to get quite anxious.

I went to a private hospital for the birth. They first applied some gel to the cervix but this didn't start off the contractions so I was also put on oxytocin and later had my waters broken. I was confined to the bed due to the drip and also because of the constant fetal and contractions monitoring. My contractions become painful after 2.5 hours but entonox provided enough relief for me, and I had a normal delivery 1.5 hours later. I was very fortunate to have a quick and easy birth.

However I must stress you should be prepared to be flexible with your birth plan, and put some trust in the doctors and midwives. Hope for the best but be prepared for any complications. At the end of the day the most important thing is the safe delivery of your baby.

By the way, my baby was born perfectly healthy but his face was a bit puffy and red, and his fingernails were extremely long!

Anyway all the best with the birth - natural or induced.

Thanks! I will bear that in mind. I do trust the doctors at the QE as I was confined there earlier due to some complication and they were extremely professional. You're right, the baby's safety is the most important thing and all I want is for the baby to healthy and safe :)

Roshna is offline Registered User
    Hi, usfret,

Even with the epidural and the fetal monitoring going on, i was able to get up and stand beside my bed and do some hip movements (like as if your doing the hoola-hoop, in slow motion, as directed by my midwife!). i could not and did not want to walk around much anyway. BTW, my waters were also broken like bbc mom.

bbc mom is right - you need to be flexible with your birth plan. i went in, the midwife outlined her plan for me and i just said okay. I let go of everything i learned in the antenatal classes (like when to ask for the epidural,etc) Whether you have a normal or c depends on how well your body reacts to the oxytocin (ie. how quickly and continuously you start to dilate once the drip starts), not exactly something that we can control.

I don't know if this is too much information but i would suggest you ask for an enema before the contractions get strong. It frees you mentally and physically so there's no fear when it's time to push like you've never pushed before!!

I wish you all the best and i hope you have a good labor experience

JennyB is offline Registered User
    I ended up being 5 days overdue and on my due date they (at the Tsan Yuk, where the QMH prenatal checkups are done) were talking about me going to the hospital 3 days later for an induction! They were very surprised to hear that I wanted to let nature take its own course for a little longer.

My impression is that there may be pressure from patients here to induce earlier rather than later, because maternity leave is so short. So doctors might suggest induction as a routine procedure rather than one which is required by the individual circumstances. I think it's a good idea getting a scan privately which can assess the condition of your baby, if you want confidence to wait a little longer. Not everyone has happy experiences with induction - I think quite a high percentage do end up in C sections, and if they give you an oxytocin drip then (at the QMH and I assume other public hospitals) they will want you to be constantly strapped to the monitor on the bed. Hope you have a good experience whatever you decide to do - fingers crossed your baby will be on time so you won't have this dilemma!

Marta is offline Registered User
    With my second child I was induced after 7 days overdue, because the heartrate was bad.
    I had a drip in my left hand (I think oxytocin(?) and antibiotics for the baby). The doctor ordered that a bean bag would be put on the bed and I was on all fourth ALL the time until the very end. The pushing was very much easier than the first time (I had to push for 1 1/2 hrs....) and after 4 times baby came out. Delivery took me 3 hrs, was very painful but so much better than the first time, that I told my husband, still in the delivery room, that I want to have the next now.....
    So if you want to stay upright, do it!!! Also the on all fourth position is very very helpful and the doctor has the room to "work" too.
    Just follow YOUR feelings and instinct!

OH, I have to change this picture....this one is my first with 6 month...he is now 3 years....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast