Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Music Lessons - When to start?

virgobb is offline Registered User

My niece liked Vanessa Mae at a very very early age of 2. Eventually my brother let her study violin at 3 by private teacher. She loved it. Now, she studies in HKAPA junior class and the prof there says she has music talent.
    No need to worry if it's too early. Furthermore, personally I think that group lessons are like playgroups ... so if you really want to develop your son's music talent, you should choose private teachers. But if you are not sure whether your son likes music, you may try group lessons first.
    I play cello myself. I will let my kid to learn to play string instruments if she likes. Playing string instruments can join orchestras. It's really fun to play music with others and will be a very good extracurricular activity as the kids grow up.

sdjanke is offline Registered User

Hi,

My son wanted to start playing guitar. Anyone who knows private guitar lessons or guitar lessons/class in Southside Hong kong Island?
    Appreciate much your infos...

Regards,
    sdjanke

Simplyso is offline Registered User

Guitar lessons

Hi

My husband's guitar tutor has experience teaching all ages, young and old. He is a Grade 8 performer,a graduate of the HKAPA and has been teaching for 20 years. He is based in Tai Po but regularly travels to HK Island to give tuition. He is local but speaks very good English.

If he can't tutor your child himself (he is pretty busy), he may know someone who can help you. He is called Ben and can be contacted on 94680506

Last edited by Simplyso; 01-25-2007 at 04:04 PM.

sdjanke is offline Registered User
    a lot.

debs is offline Registered User

I am a music teacher and Mum of a two and a half year old. I believe there's not one correct answer here and the best choice will ultimately depend on your child - and only you know best on that score!
    Three is young - but not too young. Fun group classes that combine singing, movement and perhaps an instrument are a good way to start if your child likes to be in company. Private 1-1 lessons could be great if you find a teacher who has a real affinity with toddlers and understands something about early education - it would not be appropriate to teach a 3 year old in the same way that most teachers would teach children of school age. A recommendation would be the best way to go here, but I'm afraid as yet I've never met one in HK with this kind of speciality. If you find a possible teacher make sure you grill them intensively about their philosophy - many here are very result-driven. No one should even be thinking about grade exams at this stage, so if it comes up in conversation I would look for someone else. And don't be dazzled by a wall of photocopied exam certificates at distinction level - most teachers can coach a child of average ability to distinction if they know how to play the game...and that makes them a poor teacher rather than the opposite.
    Finally I would say that whatever you do for the next couple of years - the most important thing is that the sessions foster a love of music, rather than developing specific music skills - that can come later.
    Best of luck

reei is offline Registered User

violin teacher

debs, what music instrument do you teach?

virgobb - can you recomend the violin teacher that taught your niece?

heidimak- i checked your website, it looks great, but unfortunately you do not teach in kowloon area. could you recommend any violin teach in kowloon area?

btw, my LO is 16 months old. not that i intend to enrol her now for violin classes, just planning ahead. she is now attending kindermusik.

thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12