Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Music Lessons - When to start?

HKfornow is offline Registered User

Music Lessons - When to start?

My son seems to really like music, as he loves to window shop for violins, plays the toy piano in the playground, and has been asking me to play classical cds with the "violin, guitar & trumpet". Does it sound like he's ready for more?

I don't want to over load him or push him, he's going to turn 3 goes to half-day pre-nursery & has kindermusik class once a week (which he loves) . So I'm wondering when would be a good idea to start him with some music classes perhaps piano or violin or should I wait until he's older?

Any advise, pointers or recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

CRAO is offline Registered User
    Musical instrument classes in group would be good to him at this age. He doesn't know what kind of instrument he likes until he really tries it. The centre, Mymusikbox is also offering classes on violin and piano . Personally, I think it is good for him to learn piano first for some hands and eye coordination as well as some basic idea on the pitch. He could then switch to violin or others if he wishes. Percussion instrument is also good to train up the child on rhythm and beat. This is just my personal opinion, as a music teacher.

hkcms is offline Registered User
    I believe that starting piano or violin at 3 can do more harm than good.
    Most 3-yr-olds do not yet have the maturity or the fine muscular control required to play these instruments properly.

If you read the biographies of successful classical musicians, you may notice that many of them started studying music at 5 or 6.

bbjohnny is offline Registered User
    If you really want your kid to start music learning, you can try the Tom Lee Children Music Course, which start from singing and teaching some very very easy pre graded piano skills. You can also use this to check up your kid's interest towards music learning.

Clever is offline Registered User
    Yip's Children Choral & Performing Art Centre may be another choice for your kid. They do singing and teach them basic misic theroy in class from 3-5 years old. They recommanded to learn musical instructment at 5 years old.

heidimak is offline Registered User

Four to Six

Hello. I think it really depends on the child. I've been around music since I was 2 (singing), and now that I'm a teacher, I have been astounded by a few four year olds who are picking up keyboarding. We play with flashcards, movements, storytelling, and alphabeting... of course the progress is slower and more fun-oriented, but they become better readers, and they mature faster. Of course, my best students are 6 and 7 year olds because they are more comfortable in their body and mind. I can also throw alot at them very quickly and they soak up the information like a sponge. For more FAQ (frequently Asked Questions), there is a page on the website www.BeginWithMusic.com, hope you like it. Enjoy!

hongkongexpat is offline Registered User

Music for youngsters

Having researched and studied this a bit, I believe it's wise to get started early... don't wait until they start primary school (around 6)... Have a look at the Tom Lee programs and start early as they can get booked quickly. But it's also wise to consult your child to make sure that your child gets to choose... Music can be something that is hated if it's not the child's decision to learn, especially in Hong Kong where most of the kids are spoiled.

I would steer clear of those programs, such as my My Musikbox that seem to be a bit more money-oriented and stick with the better names such as the Yamaha school over in Tom Lee. But a caution about Tom Lee, the courses are better for Chinese-speaking kids...

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    I started violin at 4 and piano at 5. My sister started violin at 3. She studied music at postgraduate level, in Australia and Europe, so it was a successful experience for her. I have had these gifts with me for the rest of my life so I really appreciate my parents allowing us to grow up with music.

We had good teachers though, which is extremely important with very small children, as average or bad teachers can do more harm than good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast